Cam Lift?
BigBlockDart.com is the premier Dodge Dart Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Cam Lift?

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Cam Lift?

What is the biggest lift you can go without changing the springs? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cam Lift?

What head, cam and springs do you have now?

If you're talking about 40 year old stock heads and original springs, the answer is "not much" ...

Also the valve guide has to be cut down for any lift over about .470 (I think).

-Charles

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Stock, stock oh yeah and stock. What are the cam specs of a stock 65' 413?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BigBlockDart.com
    Advertisements

Dono

Stock head over .550 will need the guides shortened to prevent the retainer from hitting it. Cut the guide to us the PC style teflon seal.

Don.

Post Thanks / Like

You might find this page with valve, valve lift, and spring data of interest. Look how little load is available even when those springs were new! I wouldn't try and run those with any kind of performance cam.
    Imperial FSM page

If you're going to the trouble to buy and install a cam and lifters, changing the springs isn't that much more work. Even with the heads on the engine, with the right tools it can be done pretty easily. Of course if your guides and valve seats are shot, and you're going to rebuild the heads, you've got a lot more options. Is the engine together and running?

I did a cheapy-rebuild once on a '67 383 with the stock springs and guide heights, so I used the smallest Direct Connection "RV" cam (260/.434 hyd). No interference or coil bind. It didn't make power past 5500 anyway so float wasn't a problem even with the old springs.

-Charles

ps Don are you sure you can go all the way to .550 without cutting the guides?

Dono

Yes I have run alot of .509 cams with out any problems at all.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys.

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Resurrecting an oldie. SO I can run the single springs up until .550" lift? Am getting ready to fire this beast and may be getting a cam swap before I do. Just trying to cover my bases. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 413_Dart
    Resurrecting an oldie. SO I can run the single springs up until .550" lift? Am getting ready to fire this beast and may be getting a cam swap before I do. Just trying to cover my bases. Thanks in advance.
    I would buy a new set of valve springs. Cheap insurance...
    9 years and counting...

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I will be replacing the springs but want to go as big a cam as I can without removing and milling the heads.

Post Thanks / Like

.509 is the biggest lift you can go on average. Remember you have to allow for about .050 clearance at full lift, so .559 coil bind is really .509 (or so) max safe lift.

I have run the .509 cam on a set of untouched 906 heads with just changing the cam and lifters. In reality we changed the valvesprings out a month later so longterm reliability is unknown.

My buddy tried that on the .528 cam and the heads couldn't take it - coil bind, retainers hitting, etc.

70 Duster - Keith Black 526, 2 x 830 annulars/tunnel ram, big solid roller, 727 ProTrans, Strange 4.30s<br /><br />77 440 Dodge van 12.96 @ 108 - 4800 lbs of love with a 2.72 peg leg and 1800 stall* <br /><br />74 cheyenne 452 stroker, 2x450's on a tunnel ram, 21 foot, Berkeley jet, place diverter

Newb
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SpeedyMopar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speedymopars
    .509 is the biggest lift you can go on average. Remember you have to allow for about .050 clearance at full lift, so .559 coil bind is really .509 (or so) max safe lift.

I have run the .509 cam on a set of untouched 906 heads with just changing the cam and lifters. In reality we changed the valvesprings out a month later so longterm reliability is unknown.

My buddy tried that on the .528 cam and the heads couldn't take it - coil bind, retainers hitting, etc.

Sometimes I wish I would've just gone with the .509 and saved a few hundred on machine work.
    In the garage:  '67 Plymouth Satellite - once my 318-powered daily driver, now my project car with lots of "patina".  440/727/4200 stall/3.91

"Old School" '71 440 build:  "6 Pack" pistons at zero deck, Engle .534, [email protected]" Hyd, stock 452s, Performer RPM, Holley 850 DP, Hooker headers, FBO ignition

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like

Run your stock springs to break the cam in and then change to stiffer springs

BBD LEGEND
    Post Thanks / Like

.430 lift was on factory 413s in 65.
    You need to cut down the guides and get better springs.
    2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel - Daily driver, Hauler

1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief - Gen 3 Hemi- Turbocharged, running E85, 1 ton axles,
    4.56 gear on 38" tires - Toy in progress