Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picture intense. Chris Astons Chassisworks chassis. Not sure how much I will use. Roll cage and back half for sure. 4 Link. 440 Source 543 Stroker kit with their aluminum heads. Original was to do the chassis from firewall to the back. Want it to be drivable Pro Street with heater and wipers. Challenges are the foot bar, dash bar and the 2 bars running beside the rocker panels. Limited budget too.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Stroker windage tray. Studs, heads and mains. 10:1 compression. Morosso pan. New oil pump pickup. Lunati Voodoo cam, 533. Comp Cams locks and retainers. Shumaker headers and engine mounts,

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
8 Camping trailer jacks reworked to level the car. Last jack just ahead of the rear wheel wells. I stepped in the trunk to start cutting it out and the car did a 3 foot wheelie. Just about dumped it on the ground coulda got hurt too. Must have been the balance point in a hollow car. Jacks were not tall enough for the rear subframes. Building the chassis starts by rebuilding the inner rockers if needed and mine needed some then overlay with 1/8 plate. a 1 5/8 cross bar goes between the rockers door to door, 22 inches from the centerline of the rear end. Your roll bar mounts vertically to this. Trial fitting it right now. The Halo bar gets trimmed to fit but is not perfectly horizontal. Notice the wooden dowels to bring it inline with the angle of the roll bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made 45 degree gussets to strengthen the rollbar/halobar per the instructions. I made 4 inch gussets, 6 inch would have been better. We wanted it nice for shows. We were able to do the welding on the rollbar/halobar outside the car. Not possible with a 2 door post car. Wouldn't be able to get it back in the car. Added the diagonal bar. Keep in mind you do not want this angled over the drivers head. Something to keep in mind when you take the roll cage out and turn it upside down for welding.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grinding welds and spatter off the roll cage then painting. The A pillar bars did not work on my Duster or my buds 69 Nova. Had 2 made. Haven't picked them up yet. Had 2 of the 3 chassis I originally bought and sold one to my bud. Need to get more bars to the sandblaster, I had my other bud store the chassis for me while I went through divorce. He had to store them outside. So they needed blasted.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to say the Duster is converted 4 speed car. My 1973 Challenger had to set outside in the fall while I used that bay to cut chassis tubes. The blue car under the cover is a 1969 Coronet convertible 4 speed. The original 383 is gone and replaced with a 440. Badly in need of a restoration. The Challenger is a matching numbers 340 Rallye with I believe all the original panels. No seams any where, although it needs the drivers floor pan which I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm kinda fond of of the pro street dusters. you got lots of work going on there. mine is technically street legal. good luck and take your time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Grinding welds and spatter off the roll cage then painting. The A pillar bars did not work on my Duster or my buds 69 Nova. Had 2 made. Haven't picked them up yet. Had 2 of the 3 chassis I originally bought and sold one to my bud. Need to get more bars to the sandblaster, I had my other bud store the chassis for me while I went through divorce. He had to store them outside. So they needed blasted.
It looks good!
are you planing on getting a NHRA chassis cert?
if you are I would reweld where you grinded the welds off because in the NHRA rule book section 20.18 paragraph 4:10 says "Any grinding of welds is porhibited"
But if your not going to get it certed then your in the clear and keep up the good work and the updates!

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Just thanks for posting -0*(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
why is the main hoop so far back?

It is a full race chassis and I am using it as a Prostreet car. It is designed to run three inches off the ground. With an engine setback I guess. I don't have room right now to store the seats that I will run. I don't want them trashed by the time I get to them. We wondered about the seat belt mounting being so far back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts