Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 273 out of a 67 Barracuda that's going into my 63 Dart until I get my 360 built. I was just curious about it. It has aftermarket valve covers and a Holley 4 barrell, so I'm doubting it is a high performance 273. Is there an easy way to tell?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The #s are on the block under the drivers side head, it will have some #s then 273-4, if it is a 67 273 Commando motor.
BBD

·
Registered
38 Posts
barracudadave67 said:
The #s are on the block under the drivers side head, it will have some #s then 273-4, if it is a 67 273 Commando motor.
BBD
Sorry to say,but having "-4" after the casting number does not mean its a Commando 4 barrel engine. The "-4" is the number of times that sand cast has been used to cast a block. I've personally seen a"-7" after the casting number,and I dont think they made 7 barrel engines.

The only way to positively tell if its a hi-compression 273 is to look into the bores and see if the 10.5:1 pistons are in there. Anyone can swap the dual-point distributor,black-wrinkle valve covers,cast iron 4 bbl intake and AFB carb,and 4 barrel camshaft into a standard 2 barrel engine.

Just FGI(for general info.), there is no such thing as a "Commando block", "Commando heads", or "Commando exhaust manifolds". These are the same as the 2 barrel versions...And ALL '64-'67 273's came with solid lifters...2 or 4 barrel. '68 and '69 273's were hydraulics.

To tell what year the block is,look on the machined pad on the block front, to the right of the timing cover (driver's side)...There will be a letter and some numbers. The letters start with "A",which is '65,"B"= '66,"C" = '67,and so on. A '67 273 should say "C273".

Hope this helps...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts