Big Block Dart Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a set of Hedman headers as a birthday present. The engine is in the car and I want to install the headers. Is there a trick to removing the drag link from the tie rod and pitman arm? I removed the castle nuts but that thing doesn't want to budge at all! Any help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has any tips on installing headers while the engine is in the car, please share.

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
You need a tie rod/pitman arm puller to get them apart. A pickle fork will work but you'll destroy the rubber boots.

Are you sure you need to take your steering linkage apart? Try installing them first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You need a tie rod/pitman arm puller to get them apart. A pickle fork will work but you'll destroy the rubber boots.

Are you sure you need to take your steering linkage apart? Try installing them first.
i agree on the first part..
second part, depends on if they are shortys the shorty headers will install without taking steering apart from what litle i can tell, standard hedmans require that you take the steering apart.

they can be installed with the engine in the car, but you will need to have tall and stable jackstands under the car and some way of either rising or tilting the engine over while installing the headers.

·
Registered
318 Posts
hey buddy. i did this before..... ok here you go... unbolt your engine from the k member, put your front as high as you can on jackstands. then take a 2 ton jack with some blocks of wood or something and hack up your engine from the oil pan. then youll need to un do the centerlink only from the drivers side i am pretty sure its one big bolt with a cotter pin. youll need the wheels turned in opposite directions for this to work. ok you have to do it this way. or youll never get the headers in. put the pass side one in first from the top. youll need to take off the oil filter and adapter. i think i had to put mine in sideways than turn it. but it will fit right in there. you might want to do this on grass. so you can dig a hole in the yard for clearance.. now the drivers side needs to go in from the bottom only.. youll need to pry the engine over as far as you can to the pass side with a big crowbar or something. youll need a friend maybe.. ok start shovin it up in there. make sure your center link is over to the pass side. . shit. take the studs out of the drivers side head. youll need to do this.. drain the engine water too.. lol . ok now once its in there then youll need to lower the engine so you can bolt it up all together. ummm then put the centerlink back in. youll be ok. it will only take like 5 hours. have funnn.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just got a set of Hedman headers as a birthday present. The engine is in the car and I want to install the headers. Is there a trick to removing the drag link from the tie rod and pitman arm? I removed the castle nuts but that thing doesn't want to budge at all! Any help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has any tips on installing headers while the engine is in the car, please share.

Thanks,
Jake
dud...its metal . use a hammer. thats what i did. it will pop off easily

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried the hammer thing already. Does it change things if I have power steering and power brakes? I probably should have mentioned this earlier. I also have a 904 back there.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
IDK, I can't see putting a set of headers on a small block in an A-body being any more difficult than putting headers on a big block in a B-body. Mine took all of about 5 minutes (both sides!!!).

Drivers side first, Car on jack stands as high as you can safely get it. Tilt the engine over toward the passenger side with a floor jack under the pan, header and starter goes in together. lower the engine down.

Passenger side, engine stays in place, you may have to remove the oil filter and 90* adapter for wiggle room.

Just a mention, My steering column was not in the car at the time and I think it made a HUGE difference.

Small block A-bodies are a little different than big block B's, but it can't be that much different.

Gotta be patient and if it's giving you fits, walk away for a while.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Ive done it many times and the way i do it takes more work but the install is easier, remove the torsion bars, un bolt the steering column from the firewall and slide it out of the way,remove center link, and loosen motor mounts and possibly the valve covers and jack it up as high as you can and slide them in from underneath

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
headmans on a A-body are a pain in the ass, mostly just because of the quality of the header. like stated above, your gonna have to raise the engine up to get the drivers side on. pass side will go if you pull the oil filter adapter. sometimes if i have trouble separating the center link i use a pickfork on a air hammer. seems to work good. if you have studs in the heads those will most likely need to come out. and just wait till you go to put the bolts it, you'll really be cussing. i have headmans on my barracuda, wish they were TTI's....

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
headmans on a A-body are a pain in the ass, mostly just because of the quality of the header. like stated above, your gonna have to raise the engine up to get the drivers side on. pass side will go if you pull the oil filter adapter. sometimes if i have trouble separating the center link i use a pickfork on a air hammer. seems to work good. if you have studs in the heads those will most likely need to come out. and just wait till you go to put the bolts it, you'll really be cussing. i have headmans on my barracuda, wish they were TTI's....

Are they really that much of a pain in the ass? I just put a set of BlackJack (cheap headmans, hey, I had 'em laying around.) in my car and they went in in about 5 minutes, no exageration. Granted, it's a B-body and I had the steering column out of the way and without it in place, I can even get the mini-starter in and out. Like BBD_of_CC said, the more stuff you get out of your way, the easier it is. Also, don't forget to pull out the spark plugs.

·
Registered
318 Posts
OH i forgot to tell you that youll need to take the starter off and put it in with the header... there is no was it takes 5 minutes... take in the time it takes to take the old manifolds off and all the other BS he is lookin at alot of time... took me about 5 hours with brakes because i kept gettin pissed off

·
Registered
318 Posts
dont say this is easy if you have never done this install before. its not easy. its a bitch.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Whoa!!! Easy there fella. Take deep, cleansing breaths. I didn't say IT was easy, I said mine were easy.

I've installed lots of headers in many different cars over the last 25-30 years and yes, most of them suck. I learned one very important thing, if your frustrated the headers will know it and fight you every step of the way. Just walk away from it for a little while and go back at it with a cool head.

Once you figure out the 'sequence' to putting in any header it's like a light bulb lighting up, you say Ah Ha!!!!

My headers, the ones I said take 5 minutes to install, When I bought them in the late '80s I wrestled with them for an entire day, cursing and screaming. Neighbors thought I was nuts. My dad came home from work, handed me a beer and made me come in for dinner. After dinner I went back out and both headers slid right in. True story.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Whoa!!! Easy there fella. Take deep, cleansing breaths. I didn't say IT was easy, I said mine were easy.

I've installed lots of headers in many different cars over the last 25-30 years and yes, most of them suck. I learned one very important thing, if your frustrated the headers will know it and fight you every step of the way. Just walk away from it for a little while and go back at it with a cool head.

Once you figure out the 'sequence' to putting in any header it's like a light bulb lighting up, you say Ah Ha!!!!

My headers, the ones I said take 5 minutes to install, When I bought them in the late '80s I wrestled with them for an entire day, cursing and screaming. Neighbors thought I was nuts. My dad came home from work, handed me a beer and made me come in for dinner. After dinner I went back out and both headers slid right in. True story.
maybe it was the beer... lol

·
Registered
371 Posts
I remember my first header install i was 17 and i had a 70 Dart 318 it took me bout 4 days of after school and even the Pastor of our Church helped out, i think i did more damage installing them headers beating on them than if i would have just left the manifolds on. LOL memories.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I remember my first header install i was 17 and i had a 70 Dart 318 it took me bout 4 days of after school and even the Pastor of our Church helped out, i think i did more damage installing them headers beating on them than if i would have just left the manifolds on. LOL memories.
lol.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
It's a good thing your Pastor wasn't around to help me with my first header install!!! {O

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Doug's D453 vs TTI Headers

So I rented a pitman arm/ ball joint seperator and tried installing the headers. Needless to say the fact that I'm revisting this thread means that they didn't work. I even had an exhaust shop give it a shot. So I'm going to return them.

My new question: Does anyone run the Doug's D453 headers? How do they compare to the tti's? I'm worried that the Doug's won't fit with the column shift. Summit says they only fit floor shift. Is this true? I have power steering and power breaks, 318 and 904. Thanks in advance for the help.

Jake

·
Registered
403 Posts

nevin that engine looks clean enough to eat off. i see trailer queen prissy show cars that look half as good as this. my hats off to you. i know you said this was a throw together engine but damn man i sank every last dime i had in mine and it looks half as good as this.

as for the header instal its as easy as you make it....... i had my big block tti's in my car in 45 min. i unbolted the trans and removed the steering column and jacked her up and wham bam, thank you ma'am.

·
Registered
2 Posts
IDK, I can't see putting a set of headers on a small block in an A-body being any more difficult than putting headers on a big block in a B-body. Mine took all of about 5 minutes (both sides!!!).

Drivers side first, Car on jack stands as high as you can safely get it. Tilt the engine over toward the passenger side with a floor jack under the pan, header and starter goes in together. lower the engine down.

Passenger side, engine stays in place, you may have to remove the oil filter and 90* adapter for wiggle room.

Just a mention, My steering column was not in the car at the time and I think it made a HUGE difference.

Small block A-bodies are a little different than big block B's, but it can't be that much different.

Gotta be patient and if it's giving you fits, walk away for a while.
Not a bit different-all the same stuff everywhere you look, oil filter up there, a tire and another tire, some hose thingy's...oh, they sometimes fit together a bit different though....yeah, gotta undo that nut and piece of bailing wire through the hole and don't lose it either-you gonna need it after threading that steering thing through that one tube place right there(snicker), and Hedman's? Those 2 spark plugs, yeah, them, the last 2 on drivers side? Yeah, gonna be different changing them also. Anti-seize lightly on threads and mate a plug wrench that will work when they are on-4 hours.... Hedman best long tube I ever had. Watched a guy use a slant six plugs, wires, did a six plug change. Bought the thing anyway!!!! Took a set of new Hookers off a Duster to put an old set of Hedman's on. Little tight there on the Dusters too, my Sport is a little more open there now, taking the header out to weld a bung into for Edlebrock EFI. 383, 426, 440, they came with pretty good stock ones, don't remember ever doing one in vehicle though. Next time you get a chance to pop a set on a 318, 340, 360 give me a yell, I gotta see this how easy it is stuff....motor mounts, 10 minutes...bust bolts loose 5 minutes...twister-garage version-all day...collector bolts 41 minutes...twister....steering bolt with pin-1 minute...jack front of car up off ground 10 minutes...play with stereo while turning steering wheel-30 minutes...rock on!!!
Just noticed the age of this post.....oopssss

1 - 20 of 20 Posts