Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put a 331 Hemi in a 74 A body?
Im getting a 331 Hemi from a friend for 500 bucks that came out of a 1 owner car. I will go through it before it goes in my 64 Valiant signet 200, just wondering if anyone has done this and what am I going to need to drop it in as far as mounts and adaptors for the trans. and what should I do to the motor to get around 350-500 HP out of it. I dont want over kill just a nice cruiser that will get out of its own way on the cheap.

·
Registered
54 Posts
pandamarie said:
Has anyone put a 331 Hemi in a 74 A body?
Im getting a 331 Hemi from a friend for 500 bucks that came out of a 1 owner car. I will go through it before it goes in my 64 Valiant signet 200, just wondering if anyone has done this and what am I going to need to drop it in as far as mounts and adaptors for the trans. and what should I do to the motor to get around 350-500 HP out of it. I dont want over kill just a nice cruiser that will get out of its own way on the cheap.
There is nothing cheap about the early hemis. it will be cheaper to do a big block conversion than a early hemi. Also much easier.

this was my reply to another thread but it is also important for you.

Josh said:
You probably already know this but some 331's have part of the bell housing cast on the block. That makes them very difficult to adapt to a modern transmission. So make sure you have the later 331 that uses a more conventional bell housing setup.
get the PAW early hemi catalog and check with bob walker at power play. Old hemis are great but expensive,heavy and wide.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
after checking out some other sites and some people that have done the 331 hemi in an early A body, I think im going with the 383 or 400 I just picked up as they already have the trans with them and they both run excellent. plus I just scored a 741 case 391 sure grip at the local swap meet cheap(150) from a guy who didnt know what he had.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts