Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well decided to do a 383 swap into my 72 Dart. Going to start looking for the swap parts. Found a 68 383 out of a coronet that going to look at and he also has automatic trans with 36k miles on both. Believe it has the Hp manifolds. He also has the 182 oilpan he will let go with it. Been doing some reading and going to pull the trigger on the swap. I'm sure I'll be asking question. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,432 Posts
excellent. welcome aboard. great looking car. I look forward to seeing how it goes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Your biggest challenge will be exhaust. Schumaker headers are no longer available new. So, TTI headers are pretty much the only new headers that you can use. Then there are used schumaker headers or original A body exhaust manifolds.!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Two years ago I switched my 69 340 Cuda over to a BB 470. I waited 6 months for the headers due to some "snafu" with the subcontractor they use. I must have gotten one of the last of Schumaker's headers and engine mount kits. It seems the snafu is permanent. Schumaker's demise is a terrible blow to us big block abody folks. If you are unable to find a used set of their headers or original abody manifolds (good luck-bring lots of money) you will have to use TTI's (great headers) or whoever's and be stuck with manual steering. Or you could keep your power steering and chop the sh** out of your fenderwalls and go sidepipes. If I had another nice abody and were in your place right now, under the current circumstances, I would build a stout 426 small block stroker and call it a day. It is real easy to get 500+ HP. Sad times nonetheless, because this is, after all, BBD! Clearly we need a new vendor.
Steve

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you can find a set of Proparts grab them! Easy to install. Someone mentioned TTI has the tooling now??

·
Registered
148 Posts
Don't forget, if you have manual steering, you can also use Hedman 78030 B-body headers. In fact the BBD tech pages have the article... and I bought the set in the pics from the guy who did it. They're on my lowdeck (451)-powered '72 Dart and working fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts