Big Block Dart Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
There are guys with a lot more experience than me but I have found that you had better be willing to deal with a little pain when you step into the aftermarket. The only exception is RMS, top notch as far as delivering things *as expected*. If you think about the millions and millions of dollars worth of research, testing, etc. that the big car companies pump into engineering these things, the stock stuff does not look so bad if you compare the pain and suffering of dealing with the aftermarket. Cannot say this is 100% of all cases, but it is just something you need to be ready for. It is not all just "bolt on and forget it".

That said, I have a 440source housing and pump that will go on a bone stock 383. Guess I'll keep this an mind and see what happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Manicini housing on my car, I have had it for several years with NO problems. I did port it a little before I installed it-kinda figured it couldn't hurt anything!

I also have the Milodon water pump I have had that pump for quite some time.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
I got a Source pump and housing since 08 and dont have any heating problems and im still using the little /6 radiator and it stays at 180-190 at 95+ degrees wit a 180 thermostat

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Mancini,Edelbrock and Milodon pumps all have blades on the impeller.The CAT pump is a scroll type of impeller.I do not know what 440 Source sells.The pump is the Mancini ad looks like it's sourced from GMB pumps,which are good pumps.

·
Registered
277 Posts
How come some people have problems with certain parts and others don't?
Also, 440 source has apparently used different vendors over the last few years on their water pump housings. Early models were cast different than the late models and have larger openings. I have personally owned a late model, and saw internal pictures of an early one. Their is a difference from what I could see. So, was their 40gpm from an early or late model? who knows. This might help explain why some work better than others.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have several different aluminum housings in my collection and none of them are flow restricted. I have housings from 440Source, Mancini Racing and Mopar Performance. They all are basically the same inside as a factory cast iron housing. Not sure why some people seem to have problems with stuff while others don't. I read this thread and then went out to the shop and looked at the parts I have and just don't see the issue.

·
Registered
277 Posts
went out to the shop and looked at the parts I have and just don't see the issue.
Hey andyf how's it going, if you saw the housing I had, I gaurantee you would be shocked (it was almost laughable). It's wasn't the port size where it meets the block, but down inside, where it makes the 90 to go to the pump suction and discharge. It's just smashed flat. I couldn't even get the tip of my pinky through the height of the elongated opening. When comparing it to a stock cast iron piece, it was easily half the height. I'm not discrediting the parts or information you have, just saying that it is a legitimate problem on some castings.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
That definitely sounds like a casting problem, not a design flaw. It's possible that the inner core of the sand castings collapse during the pouring process and cause this problem, maybe isolated to a certain number of castings. If you really feel a need to point fingers, I would call it a QC issue.

Bottom line: When you take an aftermarket part (or any part, for that matter) out of the box, check it out before you install (or modify) it. If you don't like what you see, send it back. Wouldn't be the first time I did that and not just with auto parts.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This doesnt really have anything to do with the housings or pumps but on moparchat.com there is a guy on their that gives a good explanation and modifications for the big and small block Mopars.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Could be a QC issue then if someone has a bad casting. Like I said before, I have a bunch of water pump housings here in my shop and none of them have restricted ports. I probably have at least one of every casting on the market. There are at least three casting suppliers for these water pump housings and a ton of vendors who resell the same basic castings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been running a 440 source pump and housing for over a year and have been battling overheating. I tried everything, then I read this!!!!

Overheating issue resolved....interesting read !
I bought the entire set of their bolts gasket, housing pump gasket as they recommend, and The 1/2 FPT port is drilled at angle! and second, the mounting lugs for power steering are larger than OEM cast iron 2 5/8 vs 3 3/8" causing power steering belt throw Mike at 440 source says there is no bad casting and Not to mention the bad customer response, from Mike at the Carson city store and he sends me a warranty policy, further stating Well here is Email received "
Bill,

I did receive your voicemail this morning, Monday, 8/2/2021. We also have your email from March 20, 2021 and your photos that I have reattached to this email for reference. During the phone conversation we had in March, you advised me that you had re-tapped the water pump housing as shown in the photos, but you also had a water leak from one bolt head. I noticed you installed a brass bushing in that hole, so did you drill the hole bigger before retapping it?

There are a couple of
Vertebrate Finger Tape measure Thumb Wood
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Metal Bicycle part
things of importance here:

• The housing was not faulty. The hole for the sending unit in that location is drilled slightly on an angle because the bolt hole for the block is directly adjacent to the left. Stock housings may not be made this way, but every reproduction we have seen is, and if this area is modified, it’s easy to break through to the bolt shank area where coolant can leak out from under the bolt head.
  • Power steering lugs where the brackets mount do measure 2.625” wide on all aftermarket water pump housings. The change was made to allow for small variances in belt alignment and to shim accordingly. Some end users choose not to shim and instead mill the housing to stock specs. Again, this is a design change and not a fault.

The Company return policy is 45 days from the date of purchase, and the part must be in new, unmodified condition. Please go to our 440 Source home page, click on Store Policy, and refer to Returns. Had you not modified this housing, we would have made an exception to the 45 day policy, but we cannot do a return or exchange on a part you have modified, installed, and raced. We also do not issue call tags.

I have included a photo of the water pump housing from my own engine with the coolant temp sensor installed as another point of reference. Your current order is on hold until you call and let us know how you’d like to proceed, as any new housing we send will be a duplicate of what you already purchased in unmodifed form.

Thank you,
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Metal Bicycle part

21 - 33 of 33 Posts