Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running a high volume Milodon waterpump with the stock cast passenger side lower hose housing for years now. But I need a new pump now and was looking at 440 Source's pump and housing kit. Is there any problems with there pump or housing? The impeller vanes are not the same design as the high volume Milodon pump. There stuff is always very reasonable but I would rather spend the money and not have problems if there is any doubt from anyone. Belt alignment issues or cooling issues??

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had the best luck with RV 8-blade fans for road racing and such. The aluminium "agitator/HP" styles did not cool well at lower RPM's, and made A LOT of pressure at higher RPM's. Just couldn't find a good balance with them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
440 Source Water Pump annd Housing

I have a new build I'm working on with 440 Source water pump and housing. It has been different from the beginning. I haven't been able to use any stock hardware and the pulleys don't line up. That's why they sell all the different spacers and bolt kits. Should have been a clue. After reading about the housing issues I will add mine to the colection of junk laying around here.

·
Premium Member
3,885 Posts
Keep your Milodon water pump and get a new housing from Mancini. I did the pinky and middle finger tests on the 440 Source housing and only got my pinky stuck. And or use Macini's pump.

Reactions: my64dart

·
Registered
805 Posts
Any belt driven water pump will only flow as well as the size of the pulley. If you want to see more flow at lower or idling RPMs then using a smaller pump pulley and larger crank will give you an overdrive on the pump. This overdrive also benefits when going highway speeds because the motor is using more HP so it's making more heat.
Most street motors run that overdrive for better flow.
I'm not sure if any 440 pumps come with a plate on the impellers. The HP pumps are usually 8 blade impellers and have a plate on the impellers. That plate acts like a paddle wheel which pushes the coolant instead of the coolant just flying around inside . The plate also helps with preventing cavitation .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been running a high volume Milodon waterpump with the stock cast passenger side lower hose housing for years now. But I need a new pump now and was looking at 440 Source's pump and housing kit. Is there any problems with there pump or housing? The impeller vanes are not the same design as the high volume Milodon pump. There stuff is always very reasonable but I would rather spend the money and not have problems if there is any doubt from anyone. Belt alignment issues or cooling issues??
yes BAd machine
work on lobes for power steering pump brackets and they can drill a straight 1/2 port for 1/2 FPT

email reply from 440source "

Bill,

I did receive your voicemail this morning, Monday, 8/2/2021. We also have your email from March 20, 2021 and your photos that I have reattached to this email for reference. During the phone conversation we had in March, you advised me that you had re-tapped the water pump housing as shown in the photos, but you also had a water leak from one bolt head. I noticed you installed a brass bushing in that hole, so did you drill the hole bigger before retapping it?

There are a couple things of importance here:

• The housing was not faulty. The hole for the sending unit in that location is drilled slightly on an angle because the bolt hole for the block is directly adjacent to the left. Stock housings may not be made this way, but every reproduction we have seen is, and if this area is modified, it’s easy to break through to the bolt shank area where coolant can leak out from under the bolt head.
  • Power steering lugs where the brackets mount do measure 2.625” wide on all aftermarket water pump housings. The change was made to allow for small variances in belt alignment and to shim accordingly. Some end users choose not to shim and instead mill the housing to stock specs. Again, this is a design change and not a fault.

The Company return policy is 45 days from the date of purchase, and the part must be in new, unmodified condition. Please go to our 440 Source home page, click on Store Policy, and refer to Returns. Had you not modified this housing, we would have made an exception to the 45 day policy, but we cannot do a return or exchange on a part you have modified, installed, and raced. We also do not issue call tags.

I have included a photo of the water pump housing from my own engine with the coolant temp sensor installed as another point of reference. Your current order is on hold until you call and let us know how you’d like to proceed, as any new housing we send will be a duplicate of what you already purchased in unmodifed form.

Thank you,

·
Registered
3 Posts
440 Source Water Pump annd Housing

I have a new build I'm working on with 440 Source water pump and housing. It has been different from the beginning. I haven't been able to use any stock hardware and the pulleys don't line up. That's why they sell all the different spacers and bolt kits. Should have been a clue. After reading about the housing issues I will add mine to the colection of junk laying around here.
here what i got today from 440sourse on power steer pump an pukllkewys

Bill,

I did receive your voicemail this morning, Monday, 8/2/2021. We also have your email from March 20, 2021 and your photos that I have reattached to this email for reference. During the phone conversation we had in March, you advised me that you had re-tapped the water pump housing as shown in the photos, but you also had a water leak from one bolt head. I noticed you installed a brass bushing in that hole, so did you drill the hole bigger before retapping it?

There are a couple things of importance here:

• The housing was not faulty. The hole for the sending unit in that location is drilled slightly on an angle because the bolt hole for the block is directly adjacent to the left. Stock housings may not be made this way, but every reproduction we have seen is, and if this area is modified, it’s easy to break through to the bolt shank area where coolant can leak out from under the bolt head.
  • Power steering lugs where the brackets mount do measure 2.625” wide on all aftermarket water pump housings. The change was made to allow for small variances in belt alignment and to shim accordingly. Some end users choose not to shim and instead mill the housing to stock specs. Again, this is a design change and not a fault.

The Company return policy is 45 days from the date of purchase, and the part must be in new, unmodified condition. Please go to our 440 Source home page, click on Store Policy, and refer to Returns. Had you not modified this housing, we would have made an exception to the 45 day policy, but we cannot do a return or exchange on a part you have modified, installed, and raced. We also do not issue call tags.

I have included a photo of the water pump housing from my own engine with the coolant temp sensor installed as another point of reference. Your current order is on hold until you call and let us know how you’d like to proceed, as any new housing we send will be a duplicate of what you already purchased in unmodifed form.

Thank you,
Hand Gesture Finger Plant Thumb
Automotive tire Sleeve Wood Tape measure Gas
Wood Gas Tape measure Font Machine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts