Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1966 Coronet 500 with the original 318 in it. Understand this is the first Mopar I have ever restored/altered. My question is w o----o<>hat will I need to do to my K member to put a 440 in it? Are there some aftermarket mounts available?? I am sure to all of you diehard Mopar fans this is a dumb question but this is my first Mopar and I would like to do it right the first time.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
u will need 66-72 engine brackets + rubber biscuits.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The K-frame is the same and does not need anything done to it. You need the 66-72 motor mounts for a big block and obviously new exhaust. The trans mount is the same and requires no modification. This is an easy swap. The only difference in K-frames in a b-body were /6, V-8 and hemi's. There were only three. Seeing as how you have a v-8 already you simply need a complete big block motor (with mounts) and a bigblock transmission.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a long time engine swapper I am also a huge cheerleader for Schumacher conversion mounts. In the case of A bodies or different K frame swaps, they cannot be beat. I remember the days of fabricating stuff and welding K frames and they have solved all that.

That said, however, this is one swap where their "conversion" is a bit expensive and misleading because (as all the other posts have indicated), the 66-72 B body v8 K frame will accept any v8 motor except the hemi.

Again, as stated earlier what you need are the factory motor mount brackets from ANY 66-72 big block that was originally installed in a car (truck mounts are different). If your donor 440 is a 73 or later simply bolt on the earlier mounts and it will drop right on. The Schumacher kit gives you everything you need for this but used mount brackets are available on the internet for $20-$95 per pair (I sell them for $75) and the rubber insulators are still obtainable at any parts store.

As it turns out, the mounts/Kframe are easy. It's the smaller things can be a PITA (pain in the...) if you do not plan for them.

The pulleys, power steering pump and alternator brackets are different. (you may be able to use em from the donor 440 IF you are keeping the AC and yours has AC also) Otherwise you will need to purchase them from aftermarket sources.

The throttle cable is sometimes too short. Repros are available.

It's been my experience that the BIGGEST PITA in this swap tends to be the kickdown linkage to the trans. It is absolutely necessary to run it! If the old linkage doesn't work, you will need reproduction 440 linkage or aftermarket kits!

Speaking of the trans: Your transmission is PROBABLY a 904 (occassionally the 318 came with a 727 small block).

In that case (with 904) you will need a shorter driveshaft. If your car used the 727 small block trans the driveshaft will be the same for the big block 727 and not need replacing.

It's important to remember that the small block 727 will not bolt to the big block-you still need the BIG block 727.

Shift linkages should be about the same or adaptable. If you have a console shifter, the bracket that bolts to the tail housing of the trans is different for 904 and 727. Again if you HAVE the small block 727, you're home free. If not the 727 bracket is available repro.

In a very few cases the 318 light duty B bodies came with the 8 1/4 rear instead of the more common heavy duty 8 3/4 housing. You will want to be certain that your car has the 8 3/4 before doing the swap.

Finally (of course) the exhaust will have to be custom fabricated. If you use exhaust manifolds you need the correct ones for your particular body.

If you plan for all the little stuff in advance, it's a VERY easy swap!

If you get into problems, drop me a line at [email protected].

Good Luck and Happy Holidays! santa3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts