Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We started in on the 64 Body. Theres a first time for everything. I'm learning..the kids are learning.so its a win. We fabbed up a fender lower patch from scratch, then took a back brace section from a diff. fender, then welded the mess onto the first "good" fender. Its solid, as we doubled some arears on the back. 3 to make one. Good metal...a littlle (or alot) of filler and we'll be there.

The RR quarter flare is GONE. We got a patch from laysons, and will replace the wheel lip. They didn't have a patch for the lower, so we'll make that from scratch as well as a trunk extension. In front of that wheel, the rocker had a 12" long hole packed with brown paper, duct tape, then 1/4"-1/2" of bondo. even the kids who never did any body work cringed!! lol

They kids are also getting friendly with the DA sander and 80 grit!

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Awesome man, thats what its all about. Father son bonding

·
Registered
271 Posts
That's great. I can't wait to teach my kids about auto body so they know to stay the heck away from it when they get older. lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a lesson in itself to "find the rust"! lol I'm not sure how to fix another little area. The flange that goes up into the cowl from the heater box is "holey". No way to weld that sucker! that flange is needed to push the water away from the box and out the side cowl drain holes. I'm thinking overlaping the flange with thin aluminum sheet, and JB welding the heck out of it. That should seal it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My 65 cuda is that way too. I was going to clean it good and use rust converter.Then use the power mesh fabric I got from POR. It looks like fiberglass fabric. It was in the floorpan & trunk restro kit that I never used.
I'm thinking to cut it and use the POR to cover the holes. Just what I may do. You can see the stuff on the POR web page www.por15.com. Hope this helps, Don :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts