Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out of ideas on how to get the steering column out of my Dart so I can clean it up and take the column shift lever off. Any advice would be appreciated. Is the pin in the end pressed in? My Dart/Coronet manual doesn't cover it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm pretty sure it only comes out one way. Try a good deep socket that just fits over the pin and a big C clamp.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea! I'll give it a shot ;) Thanks!

Modified later........Welp; no luck. I have it soaking in "liquid wrench". I don't want to heat it up with a torch because of the rubber seal just a couple of inches from there. When I see how the new connector attaches; I'll be able to assess if i can "mar" the pin up or not with vise grips.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK; Boy is my face red! I feel so dumb about this; but I admit it. I overlooked the obvious. I was absolutely sure I had all the bolts out on the column plate; (which is bolted to the firewall )but in my rush to remove the column; I didn't see two of the plate mounting bolts. (It's dark under a dash) So; I was sure that the pin in the other end had to come out in order to remove the column. ......DUH!
doh **(*)
(I'm glad I didn't cut it out.....derrrrrrrr.... :-[)

I dunno about some of you guys; but it seems the older I get; the denser I get. Gosh; whats gonna happen in 20 years?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts