Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna covert my 68 from power to manual steering. I've been told that any power steering box from the 60's or 70's will work. Is this true? What kinda surprises will I run into as far as the idler arm is concerned? Are there any ideal donor cars?

codfish

·
Registered
283 Posts
do you mean manual? there's two types small selector and large. depending on the pitman arm. b-bodied units users a bearing on the lower end than the a-body that users a bush sleeve.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The tech pages has a good read on this. I followed it and picked up a '69 B body box. You will need a new Pitman for your box. Idler should remain the same. Summit also sells Moog suspension peices. Bill sells the power to manual shaft u joint adapter. Just finished mine tonight.

Here is my set up.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a manual box on my 70 from a 71 340 car. It bolted up fine, I got a box from another member on here for my 73 and it's pitman arm has the stud on the opposite side (this would prevent it from working on my 70 without changed the arm). I'm not sure what year it changed, but there is a difference.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
As far as I know most boxes from the muscle car years should work.  The manual box is shorter so you need to use an adapter shaft or change the steering coulum.  I used this adapter from Mancini on my 63.   Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts