Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Need guidance/thoughts if possible. Asking if B body HP manifolds would work on my 70 Dart project. It's 383 4spd with manual steering box. I'm on low budget and not concerned with the performance difference of headers vs. the HP manifolds. Just want to confirm if the B body HP's will get it done for my 383 4spd project. Does anyone know if there are variations of these manifolds? Meaning 1970 may be of different angles than 1968 or 1972? I've found a local guy who has a nice good condition set for $350 but, I'm not certain of all the facts with my application. Any help/thoughts are very much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
Yup. They work great. Some may require modification to the steering column (shortening the out sleeve). The only real difference is that the clocking is different on the '67 left side vs. '68-73. The clocking changed on the right side, but I'm not sure what years were what configuration. We've built five big block A-bodies with B-body HP manifolds, two 383s and three 440s (one of the 440 builds was a duplicate of another with all the same parts).One of the 383 builds and the duplicate 440 were 4-speeds. 440 backed by an 18-spline A-body box.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup. They work great. Some may require modification to the steering column (shortening the out sleeve). The only real difference is that the clocking is different on the '67 left side vs. '68-73. The clocking changed on the right side, but I'm not sure what years were what configuration. We've built five big block A-bodies with B-body HP manifolds, two 383s and three 440s (one of the 440 builds was a duplicate of another with all the same parts).One of the 383 builds and the duplicate 440 were 4-speeds. 440 backed by an 18-spline A-body box.

Jim, Thank you very much! Much appreciated. I'm gonna snag the manifolds my local guy has for $350. Will also ask if he knows what year they are and/or maybe I can determine from the casting #'s?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Guys, Need guidance/thoughts if possible. Asking if B body HP manifolds would work on my 70 Dart project. It's 383 4spd with manual steering box. I'm on low budget and not concerned with the performance difference of headers vs. the HP manifolds. Just want to confirm if the B body HP's will get it done for my 383 4spd project. Does anyone know if there are variations of these manifolds? Meaning 1970 may be of different angles than 1968 or 1972? I've found a local guy who has a nice good condition set for $350 but, I'm not certain of all the facts with my application. Any help/thoughts are very much appreciated. Thanks!
Yes they will work just fine. I had those on my 383 dart before I put headers on

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm putting a 440 in my 67 Dart GT, 727 trans, manual steering gear, spool type motor mounts. I would rather put iron manifolds on it than headers. What number manifolds have you guys been using and what modifications are required? Does anyone sell downpipes for that or is it all custom exhaust?

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
There are no off-the-shelf head pipes. I have modified TTI B-body head pipes, but that pisses them (TTI) off. And '68-73 driver side B/E body HP will work with a 440 as long as the steering column outer sleeves are shortened up to the firewall. You will still have some clearance issues to the steering shaft, but it's livable. Passenger side is a little trickier. I'm not sure of the years that work, but there needs to be a flat area directly facing the frame and the heat riser needs to be removed. This shows the correct clocking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts