Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if 71-72 disc brake spindles from a 340 Duster will work on a 1964 Barracuda?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yes they will fit, but I would recommend going with the '73 and later single piston set up instead.  They are big bolt pattern and still available for a decent price from most junk yards.  The 71 & 72 Kelsey Hayes I've seen selling for high dollar.  If you've already got the entire set up, I'd sell it and buy a '73 and later set up for half of what you sell the Kelsey Hayes for.  If you do decide to go with the '73 and later take a look in the tech section to see what all parts are required to make the swap, for example upper control arms and proportioning valve.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jim_Lusk said:
There's nothing wrong with using the small bolt disc brakes. They are more expensive to rebuild and more expensive to buy, but are a great brake. Everything is available for them, too.
Jim's exactly right, I just recommended the later model brakes since I always look for the cheapest way of doing things when the performance is exactly the same. Plus it's a lot easier to find aftermarket large bolt pattern wheels at swap meets rather than small bolt pattern.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Brad4406 said:
Jim_Lusk said:
There's nothing wrong with using the small bolt disc brakes. They are more expensive to rebuild and more expensive to buy, but are a great brake. Everything is available for them, too.
Jim's exactly right, I just recommended the later model brakes since I always look for the cheapest way of doing things when the performance is exactly the same.  Plus it's a lot easier to find aftermarket large bolt pattern wheels at swap meets rather than small bolt pattern.
[]{} with both, other than I like the bigger bolt pattern stuff and and easier to get parts for.  You can go all the way up to an 1989 Fifth Avenue for parts.  That being said, if you after a true stock look with the little pattern then that's the way to go.

Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With a 452 stroker motor and about 650 horses, i want to be able to slow it down and stop safely...the car has bigger bolt pattern weld wheels on it. 0/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On our 64 Valiant...we're going with 73+ single piston caliper 10.87 disk brakes. UCAs need to be changed out for the larger Upper ball joints. The rest can remain the same.....so I'm told! But that's our plan!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts