Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been a member here for a long time.  I originally started out with a 70 Plymouth duster and a 440 back in 97'.  I back halved that car with ladder bars and coil-overs and had plans of putting it on the street.  Hence the name, "Tubbed440"  -o  Well, as luck would have it, I was making pass # 10 on it one night for some shakedowns.  This was the 10th pass the car EVER made.  It was the night of a lunar eclipse in '98.  All of my buddies had bad luck, one caught fire in the staging lanes, the other shelled his rear in the water box - and I figured I'd make one more pass for the night.  Well, I found a problem.  lol  When I left the line on the footbrake, the rod pulled out of the master cylinder and I didn't have any brakes at the other end.  150 yards of swamp and 5 trees later, we know how that one ended. 

Fast forward to 99.  I tub another duster.  This one actually makes it to the street in 2001 or so.  I actually had the car long enough to buy one of Bills front suspensions under it and drive it on the street for a while!  Well, as luck would have it, one night in 04, the throttle stuck during some "test runs" out on the road.  I shifted into high gear and let off and was like "oh sh*t!!!!".  Curve comes up and I have skinnies on the front and 18.50 wide mickeys on the back with an auburn unit.  Long story short, I was able to do some crash R+D for Bill and his alterKtion.   **(*) **(*) **(*)  Not what I was hoping for.  LOL  I do think it helped Bill some though.  )(/*

So, by that time, I figure it's time to try another body style, maybe "A" bodies are just not my bag.  doh  This time, in  2004, I buy a 74 Challenger for 2200.  Complete from head to tail, throw some new gas in and a battery and hear it run.  No sooner than I got it home and heard it run, I pulled the 360 and 727 and had it SOLD!  Now begins the saga that I call "The Car that will Never run".  Enjoy the next couple of posts/pages.   ;D

This is what she looked like when I got her home.  It's a 74 Rallye car....so it had the hood, instrument cluster, center console and originally came with a 318.  It was rough, but all there.  Hello November of 2004, lol.  These were taken the night I got it home.

These were taken after I got it in the Garage. 

I had originally decided to take the engine, trans and rear that had been in my two previous dusters and put in this car.  Lots of things have changed since then.  I sold the shortblock, kept the heads (Eddy RPMS)  and built a 500 inch stroker.  Later on downt he road, I sold the rear, narrowed another dana (the other one was too short) and sold the 727 and decided to go with a 4L80E trans instead.  I wanted over drive and power handling capability with minimal cost.  (Let me clue you in, there IS NO CHEAP WAY TO PUT OVERDRIVE BEHIND A 800 HP, NITROUSED big block).

Engine with eddies and some build pics...  H-beam rods, 4130 stroker crank (4.150) billet steel main caps (should have held out for the aluminum ones) Ross pistons zero decked.

Here's how much room I would have had with the eddies, Team G and a dominator under the stock Rallye hood.

Not much room for sure. 

I then changed the plan and decided to go fuel injected to try and gain some hood clearance and drivability.  I picked up a holley commander 950 pro from a dude for cheap.  Sold the intake, fuel rails and throttle body (it was from a kit for a BBC) and kept the brain and harness. The visions of power tour started dancing though my head, lol.

More to come.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 74 Challenger build thread.

Well, onto some sheet metal work. Both quarters were shot. I got some re-pops from Goodmark and they fit quite well.

Some more random work here and there.....

Drivers door had been hit pretty hard before I got it and they used 2 gallons of bondo... lol

......and then I decided to make more room for tires.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

So every street car has to have ladder bars, coil overs and an AlterKtion, right???? Bent the cage myself out of mild steel. Still not finished with it yet though. I need to install the a pillar bars and couple more.

Rear suspension. I drew up a model of it in Inventor. I'm currently making a custom watts link for the rear. I don't really have enough room for the rear to swing side to side.....those 325/50 MT DR's take up lots of room. I decided to go with a 15x10 Boyd Coddington smoothie II on the rear and 15x6 on the front.

None of this is finish welded - it's just tacked in at the moment.

Bill's front suspension. ;D

Some pics of the stance and ground clearance.

I have since cut the collector flanges off and otped for some collector slip ons that go to 3.5 inch oval tubing. That runs to a pair of oval inlet, oval outlet spintechs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Some more fit check pics of the front suspension, headers and what not. I'm reverse cooling it with a Meziere remote pump.

( I realized after I took the pics that I have the driver's side coolant hose going to the outlet instead of the inlet.... LOL)

Lots of room to move the engine back. When I get my bellhousing for the 4L80, I'll move the engine back a little.

Random shot from the rear after a coat of flat black to keep it from rusting after some sandblasting.

Random header shot after I first put them in. I was pretty happy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

So, now that we have all the old stuff out of the way, onto the newer stuff. By now you know that this car will have a 500 stroker, fuel injection, a 4L80E trans, roll cage, big rear tires, alterKtion, and what not. Now comes the fun part. I decided to sell the heads and buy some Victors....

They are obviously not out of the box type heads...lol. They need some clean up, valve job, and general set up. Not to mention some porting :)

Not many companies out there make fuel injection for the BBM - and my hood clearance is at a premium becuase I want to keep the factory style hood. I sold the steel version and picked up a fiberglass replica from VFN. Damn nice hood for sure. It weighs in at like 20 lbs vs. the 150 of the stock hood. All single 4bbl throttle bodies that flow the amount of air that I will need are in a 4500 flange. SHow me a 4500 flange intake that will fit under that hood with an air cleaner and throttle body......right .... lol

I decided to make my own.

I'm going to make a sheet metal intake with a removable top and front. The idea is to run two LS1 throttle bodies on the front, or two 4bbl TB's on the top. I can change between the two later if I want...(or at least that's the idea) I also started honing my aluminum welding skills.. This was like the 1st time I had tried this with the TIG. Granted, this was not my first weld, but this is where I ended up after about 2 hours of trying.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Here's some models of the semi-finished product.

So far I have made the two lower flanges. I hope to have the plenum made in a couple of days from now.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here's a couple of pics I took of it in it's current state. I have moved (job change) from NC to VA in April of 08 and I finally got the car here in July or 08. Not much been done to the old girl. I had rolled it out of the garage to clean up and organize to get ready for some more fab work this year. :)

Please forgive me if I have left something out. Obviously, this has taken about 4 years, two job changes and a marriage (got married in 06) and it's hard to remember everything in detail. As you can see, it's far from finished, so check back regularly and I should have some updates. o----o<>

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

All I can say is WOW! You are the man. I can't wait to see it done!

·
Registered
74 Posts

*POP* *POP* *POP* WoW!!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

mopowers said:
All I can say is WOW! You are the man. I can't wait to see it done!
Thanks, however, it has taken me 4 years to get this far - so you might be waiting a looooooong time before this one is finished. Seems like I have a little bit of extra time and a whole lot less money than time.... lol

Gospel Runner said:
The car builders on this site are out of this world and you are in that class of unbeleievable builders. Nice work! Thanks for sharing!!!
I really don't know what to say about this one. I don't really consider myself one of the "unbelievable" builders, I'm just and ordinary tech guy that works with what he has, but tnku.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Wow, neat stuff. Great work!

-Michael

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Ran into a slight problem last night. Brake seem to be a little too big for the rim and the spindle. (Wilwood Integra 6R) I'm currently looking into other options, like Viper Brake calipers, different uprights, etc. I'll try and post up as I get along a little further on this. Everyone that knows me (from way back) knows that I don't need to skimp on BRAKES. :lol:

Ordered my dry sump pump yesterday, should be here either Friday or Monday. It's a 4 stage unit, 3 scavenge and 1 pressure. I've had this tank for a while now, but I think I'm going to sell it and try and get a 3 gallon. This one holds (*I think) 4.5 or 5 gallons. I've got enough fittings, line and what not to plumb it all up, all except for the filters that go on the lines in the pan.

Material should be here on Friday for the intake and oil pan fabrication. I still need to make the die mold for the runners, but I'll get there eventually. I think (if the material comes in like it should) I'm going to concentrate on the oil pan, pump mounts and what not this weekend. If I get more done than I thought, then I'll start making injector bungs and the intake plenum.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.