Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put an 8.75 in my dart. I looked on summit and i was curious what is the difference in the cases

489 is the biggest pinion /. strongest of the 3 rears i heard that from a friend online.

then ther is the 741 and 742 cases.. one of them you can not buy anything for it ? anyone know the reason why?

tnku

·
Registered
164 Posts
741 and 742 cases have striaght (not tapered) pinion gear shafts while the 489 has the large tapered pinion gear. The 741 case is the earliest and has the smallest pinion gear. Parts (mostly gear sets) are toughest for the 741 because most people either use the larger pinion 742 case or the tapered pinion 489. Any will work fine on a street car so if you find a 741 with the gear ratio you want for your car they can be had for a good price. If you have a lot of motor, big tires and are hooking on a strip I would use the 742 or 489.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.thanks for responding. I appreciate the info.. I was just curious why summit didnt list any parts for the 741 case at all..

im not looking to go racing or anything at this point just cruise around and hit a couple shows a yr like the mopar nats and stuff.. Its a /6 now and i have a 318 and an a833 4 spd to put in it so far. I am trying to lay my hands on a 340 for the right price and its easier said than done lol..

anyways thanks again for the info

1 - 4 of 4 Posts