Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home with my new project (a '72 Dart "roller"). It's been completely stripped (including all glass and trim) down to the bare shell, minitubbed and primered inside. I want to install an 8-point roll cage and wonder if there is an existing kit I can buy?

Also, am I correct in assuming that the cage should go in before anything else is reinstalled or painted? Body color for the cage would be fine..

thanks
Charles

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! that's just what I was looking for. Auto Weld does have a listing for '72 Dart... they call it a roll bar thru 8 pt. and a roll cage for 10 pt. and up.
Now the question is, for only a little more I can get the 10 pt.
Is it worth the extra weight and cost?
-Charles

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i asked myself the same thing and just went wit hthe 10 pt. s&w usually has a summer sale, i got the cage 10 pt for less than the regular cost of an 8 pt.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm happy with my Competition Engineering 8-pt that I put in my demon, would be the same as for yours...Check out my site for a few pics...

Ryan

·
Registered
392 Posts
Charles said:
Also, am I correct in assuming that the cage should go in before anything else is reinstalled or painted? Body color for the cage would be fine..

If the car is going to have sub frame connectors it would be better to install them before the cage. The main hoop can then be attached to outriggers from the frame connectors.

While it requires more fitting and fabrication, I think that the "A" bars on a roll cage that go through the dash are worth the effort.

mike.

G

·
I put a 8 pt kit in my 71 dart from comp. eng.(sold the car) doh
I have a 12 pt+ cage in my cuda from autoweld
they both were 1 5/8 tube .125 wall. both kits are good
but the autoweld had a better fit and had a lot of the ends
pre notched, like the sholder bar that runs behind the seats
between the loop bar, it just droped in place...real nice.
One of the ends for the long bars going to the trunk is notched with
the autoweld kit also. I dont remember any of the comp bars being pre notched.
My fabricator (my best friend owns a fab shop ;D) liked the autoweld kit better too.
one other note you can buy the kit cheeper than you can buy the
tubing and bend your own so unless you want a true custom bars
go with a kit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ive put two S&W kits in and there great. very little trimming and great fitment

1 - 11 of 11 Posts