Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question guys....

I was so happy, til about an hour ago :-\ Do Ford and Mopar use different Big Bolt patterns for their Rears? I have a Ford 8.8 I'm refitting to put in the 68'. I have some BB pattern wheels off a 74 Scamp, and to my dismay, you got it they don't match up.

So I guess have a couple of options; 1) Sell the Ferd rear, and get a A Body 8.25 or 8.75; 2) Buy two Ferd Rims for the back, but then can't rotate the tires without remounting (ouch); 3) Does anyone know of Ferd axles for the 8.8 that will match up to the Mopar BB wheels.

Thanks....

Pat

·
Registered
208 Posts
The 8.8" rear may be new enough to be a metric pattern. How far off are the patterns?
Might it be possible to redrill the rotors/drums to the Mopar 4.5" pattern?

Roger

·
Registered
792 Posts
Is it the bolt pattern thats different or is it the center register thats keeping them from fitting? I've heard the Ford's have a bigger register so Mopar rims won't fit. ???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tacfire11 said:
Stupid question guys....

I was so happy, til about an hour ago  :-\  Do Ford and Mopar use different Big Bolt patterns for their Rears?  I have a Ford 8.8 I'm refitting to put in the 68'.  I have some BB pattern wheels off a 74 Scamp, and to my dismay, you got it they don't match up. 

So I guess have a couple of options; 1) Sell the Ferd rear, and get a A Body 8.25 or 8.75; 2) Buy two Ferd Rims for the back, but then can't rotate the tires without remounting (ouch); 3) Does anyone know of Ferd axles for the 8.8 that will match up to the Mopar BB wheels. 

Thanks....

Pat
What is the rear out of?
the mustang and explorer will work mabe you have something else...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got the Bolt Pattern figured out. The Rear was orignally out of a 89 Bronco, which used the same axles as a Mercury. So I'm upgrading the Axles to a 95 Explorer Axles, these use a standard 5 on 4.50 bolt pattern. It was lucky that I pulled the axles anyway, because after close inspection, the one axle has a spun bearing and has worn a .20 grove into the axle shaft. I'll keep you posted as I get her reassembled.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Make sure you check the splines also some of the earlier 8.8s had 28 spline while the 95 8.8 had 31 splines .

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, your on the Money.... The axles had 31 splines, so to get this rear in the Dart, had some custom Moser's made. They'll be 31 1/16" and 33 3/16" axles with 31 splines and a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. Just finished replacing the seals, bearings, and rebuilding the Sure-Grip. Last thing is to weld on the Spring perches for the A Body. OH man, it's going to be tight too, may have get creative with the Wheels to pull the tires in. I'll snap some pictures tomorrow and post for everyone to see. o----o<>

·
Registered
278 Posts
31 and 33 are you sure that seems like it will be getting too long! There will be a slight space between the axles plus at least another 1/4 inch a side for rotors or drums maybe a little more. That's addind up to about 65" that seems really wide.A stock A body is 57 1/8 drum to drum a C body wagon isn't even 65" . Your almost 10' wider than a stock A body unless I'm missing something?

·
Registered
23 Posts
i think he has a full size rear , what is your hub to hub? , on a 95 up i don't know about early model explorer disc. backing is 54 1/2 with 39 1/4 spring bolt hole to hole with a 1 1/4 off set on pinion , those worried about off set the factory explorer has a notesable from the transfer case with no problems, after all your engine is already off set. i think but not real sure the full size bronco had 5 on 5 bolt circle. hope this helps

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think you are right that's a full size rear it will be too big to fit under a dart!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Rear is from an older Bronco (89' I think). Her axles were origiinally 5 on 5.5 BP. From what I've measured (and I'm bowing to my mentors here on the Forum), the 7.25 under the Dart now came in at 57 and some change. Then I measured the wheel clearance in each side (with the 7.25" in place), and have roughly 5" from Tire to Panel. So my thoughts are a custom wheel, which will offset the tire back an inch or two may do the trick. It's going to be tight, agreed.

A word of advice to anyone who reads this, and is thinking of similar actions. I will try and post as many lessons learned as I can. My advice though....Research, Research, Research, measure everything, and don't lock yourself into a single solution if possible. If I take everything I've spent on the 8.8, I'm probably break even to a fair 8 3/4 (if you can find em'). If the housing and axles need to be shortened, I've definately blown the budget I set aside. Then I have to face the Mrs... :( Ouch )(/*

You guys rock though, I've learned more from reading this Forum. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
blasterboy said:
i think he has a full size rear , what is your hub to hub? , on a 95 up i don't know about early model explorer disc. backing is 54 1/2 with 39 1/4 spring bolt hole to hole with a 1 1/4 off set on pinion , those worried about off set the factory explorer has a notesable  from the transfer case with no problems, after all your engine is already off set. i think but not real sure the full size bronco had 5 on 5 bolt circle. hope this helps
if its outta a junco then its got the bb truck dodge/ferd 5x 5 1/2 bolt pattern..

·
Registered
612 Posts
I found 5 8.8 rears out of 99 and up Explorers with the disk brakes. all but 1 had 3.73 the one had 4.10's.....I noticed an off set to the pass side but didnt measure. How wide are they? these are tight as hell to they looked brand new.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The typical 8.8 has a Pinion offset of 1.5 Inches. They are very common, and came in everything from the Bronco, to the Lincoln. The truck flavors of the rear have the larger bolt pattern (5 on 5.5" centers or 6 on 5.5" centers). These are necessary a bad thing, but it makes it tough to put rear discs on as they are normally outfitted with 11" drums. Also if you opt to go with the larger bolt pattern on the rear, you can't rotate your tires, if you planning on making her a daily driver. Otherwise, if you go with different tire widths, then it's a moot point, you are rotating tires anyway, plus the larger rims let you plus up on the tire width in the back. Just my opinion.

-0*(

·
Registered
278 Posts
The ford exploders come with a 8.8 rear,most have limited slip look for a L on the rear ID plate, 31 spline axles,good gears 3.55, 3.73, 4.10 and dic brakes and most are relatively new condition 1995-2001 I believe.They are aprox 2 inches wider than a stock A body rear.They would have to have spring pearches welded on and other brackets cut off.Pinion offset is 2 3/16" (trying to remember that one)approx 1" more than a 8 3/4" I beleive?And parts are readily available .Now for the power what I have researched is the fourwheeler crowd uses them to swap into their jeeps they run 33" tires and 450hp with no problems.There are 8 sec mustangs running them with no problems .And they can be built to stand up to 1000hp at the wheels with slicks.They do have some issue but if you look into them they are easy fixes .A guy in Iowa told me he can pick them up any ratio for $125-$150.It's worth a look into !

·
Registered
612 Posts
so is the 8.8 out of an explorer a drop in? i know I will need to cut the old brackets off and then weld in spring perchs..no biggie. The only question I have is will I have to shorten one side or will that offset not be a problem......if I can then I think I will go with a 8.8 at this time. I need axles, new gears, bearings and what not for that 8 3/4 looking at ALOT more money. I can spend $200 bucks and walk out with 4.10 gears and disk brakes......I AM wondering about the offset....

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the older 8.8 out of Bronco, but here's what I have found. The disc brakes are a breeze to work on and convert to. They are literally 4 bolts, and your done. Make sure though that you match the bolt pattern on your axles. If you need new Axles to match, they can range from 59.00 to 150.00 a piece. Moser's of course demanding the higher prices.

·
Registered
278 Posts
abqdart said:
so is the 8.8 out of an explorer a drop in? i know I will need to cut the old brackets off and then weld in spring perchs..no biggie. The only question I have is will I have to shorten one side or will that offset not be a problem......if I can then I think I will go with a 8.8 at this time. I need axles, new gears, bearings and what not for that 8 3/4 looking at ALOT more money. I can spend $200 bucks and walk out with 4.10 gears and disk brakes......I AM wondering about the offset....
abqdart I would hate to say it's a comlete drop in as I haven't done it but I am looking at it seriously.Like you said gears disc brakes .I don't think the offset will be a problem .If you look in the tech pages there is a diagram as long as you are parallel it should work ok .Something else is the mustang housing is narrower but the gears will fit in I think the discs will bolt up but you would need new axles.Search google and some of the jeep forums there is alot of info on the 8.8 search it out and let us know how it goes as when I'm ready I believe that's what I'm going to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts