Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what my oil pan options are for the new motor (BB) that are compatible with Alterkation w/rack steering in my 69 Dart. Bill R. says that the the Milodon 30930 fits. This is what I already have on the 440. I was looking for something with more volume, external oiling and better ground clearance.

Straightline performance was having aluminum fab'd pans made and selling them. They are even on Bill's website. Cool pans, although expensive. However, Straightline's is apparently having problems with the guy that was making them and I was told the wait was indefinite. I also spoke with Charlie's Oil Pans. They look like a valid option except I can never seem to get through to Charlie and he hasn't returned my messages.

Anyone have any suggestions? BTW the motor is an all-aluminum 572 spinning up to 7000 rpm max

Thanks for any help you can offer

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was looking for the same. (had alterKtion in a duster, now in a Challenger) I ran that same pan for a little while on my duster and had to weld a 1/8 thick plate to the bottom to keep it from getting severe road rash. I drilled the back of that pan for a single static pickup and it worked great. I finally came to the conclusion that I am going to have to make my own pan. I plan on taking a stock pan and extending the sump all the way to rear of the pan rail. I am guessing this mod would make the pan hold somewhere around 8 quarts or more. Install a baffle with a trap door, static pick-up and wa-la! You now have a high dollar oil pan for next to nothing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sycboi said:
Here is what I am running...
That's the same pan I have on the 440. What I will probably end up getting is the same pan, 'cept that it's got a fitting for single-line external oiling (Milodon part no. 30931).

As more and more front suspension/steering setups are swapped in favor of aftermarket systems like Alterkation and Magnumforce, seems like the need for an oil pan which takes full advantage of no more drag link, will increase.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't believe the pan (Milodon) shown in the last two posts will work with the Alterkation. This, according to Bill R. and others I've spoken with simply because the notch in the front of the pan does not extend back far enough to clear the rack. Since I originally posted this thread, I have bought a custom aluminum fabricated pan from Daryl (mrhotrod). It is truly a custom, built to order pan, with baffles, windage tray, trap door, static dual-line pick up, dip stick screw in boss, etc. I spec'd the dimensions and got my 8 quarts with a 6" deep pan and dual external line fittings. These are pricey, especially when compared to a mass produced stamped-steel pan, but you get exactly what you want and/or need.

For anyone considering a custom fabricated pan, send a note to mrhotrod and I'm sure he'll get back to you with options, pricing, timing, etc.

·
Registered
344 Posts
By installing a alterkation front end into my strickly race 71 383 Duster does it increase the choice of headers I can use? What options are there, using hooker fenderwells they need to go due to ground clearance and steering radius.

Thanks

o----o<>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts