Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a straight axle into a 68 Dart? I have been thinking about building a Gasser style car with a straight axle. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks,Ashley!

·
Registered
464 Posts
way back when I was in the 9th grade, (1971) there was a guy at my highschool who put a straight axle under a year old challenger r/t. car looked pretty cool back then. can't help you about putting one in, but look at some back issues of Hot Rod magazine. they had a bunch of straight axle cars in there within the last 6-8 months or so. good luck.

don

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
I helped stitch together a couple of chevelles and a 67 firebird in that gasser style look back in the early 80's. we used a dropped T front suspension out of an ancient 100-series ford van. it seemed to work pretty well although the firebird had a few issues due to poor welding and general design but overall they were fairly problem free (front suspension-wise at least).

love that old-school hotrod look. thats really the first time Ive seen that done on an A-body. I kinda like it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree with don. That's more of a `65 and older thing. I do like the repop ET gasser style front wheels but I would keep the independent front suspension.

·
Registered
230 Posts
On the plus side - for a BBD the header/tire clearance does appear to be an issue.
Had a friend that did a '66 Signet up like that - looked pretty cool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts