Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68 Barracuda and will be swapping the front drums to rotors. I already have 73-76 disk brake spindles but I still dont know if I should go with a 11" rotor or a 11 3/4" rotor. This car will see track, so I do want lighter parts and I am leaning tords the 11". The 11 3/4" seem to be almost the same. I also dont know what donor car to get the caliper brackets. Can someone lead me on the right dirrection? Thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
Unless you are running larger front tires with a large contact patch then the smaller size rotors are better. With smaller tires and the larger rotors you will have more braking then the tires can handle and it will be easier to lock them up under braking.

G

·
I'm going with the 11.75" because I thought it would allow me to go with manual brakes and not sacrifice braking power. We'll see.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I run a set of each 10 inchers on a 72 Duster the larger sizes on a 74 duster, the seat of pants stopping feel about the same on each. Autozone have the good made in Canada rotors for about $40 each and they are a stock item.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 11" (I think it's actaully like 10.8") rotor is fine w/ manual brakes. Use calipers from a '76 A-Body, they have a larger bore and increase hydraulic leverage. You can also use the 15/16" bore master cylinder to make the pedal even easier, but you'll increase pedal travel. I didn't like the increased travel and went with the larger bore

The setup I'm using is the 10.8" rotor, decent pads, '76 A-Body caliper, 1 1/32" bore master cylinder - went for the MP aluminum one for giggles. Car brakes wonderfully, been through several high speed panic stops w/ little excitement. Pedal is firm, but not at all uncomfortable, and the travel is very reasonable. It's got waaaaay less travel than my 4 wheel manual drum dart, but a little more than my power disks satellite. You can tune pedal effort/travel w/ different diameter bore master cylinders. The car is a daily driver and regularly braves the Atlanta rush hours with little fuss. Feels way better than the power disc setup it replaced. My other Dart is going to get the same setup here soon as I collect the parts.

For the smaller rotors, you need the caliper brackets off a '73-'76 A-Body with small rotors. :) For the larger rotors, I'm not sure - I think post '76 B-bodies and R-Bodies w/ the large rotors. Note that these are for the slider type calipers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts