Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the biggest tire you can squeeze in the stock fender wells, or is it mandatory you mini-tub our A-bodies to fit an adequite tire? I was thinking somthing along the lines of a 295/50R15 or the like in an ET-Street Radial. Anyway, input is appcreciated, and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking, I just wanted to get things priced out, it shouldn't be too bad since I'm doing floors anyway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That would be a good time to do it. I spent about $500 on the tub job including narrowing the rear. It took me quit a while to do the job, never done anything like that before. Take your time and check out the tech pages. Most helpful.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm in no hurry to do this car. This is my first "muscle car" and it will all be done right. My desktop on my computer shows a car, whom I assume he's a member on here or the other boards, that I want mine to look similar to.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You can fit 325/50's (M/T 28" x 13.5") with moving the springs, relocating and massaging the wheel wells. I have 11/16" clearence on each side of the tire. This is my '67.

Tom

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
b569rr said:
You can fit 325/50's (M/T 28" x 13.5") with moving the springs, relocating and massaging the wheel wells. I have 11/16" clearence on each side of the tire. This is my '67.

Tom
Awesome, I had those same tires under my '85 Mustang and loved them at the strip. Did you use the mopar performance relocate kit?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yes I did along with good tips in the big block dart tech pages. I have lots of pics in the gallery.

Tom

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
b569rr said:
Yes I did along with good tips in the big block dart tech pages. I have lots of pics in the gallery.

Tom
I have seen the tech article, it doesn't look like too bad a job, just getting measurements being the tough part. Measure twice, cut once. :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have no idea, I'm assuming a 10in rim, but honestly don't know.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My offset is custom to my application and recommend you get the rear end positioned under the car with the tire before ordereing.

15" x 10" with 7 1/4" backspace for Ford Explorer disk brakes with 2.5" brake spacing. I also had to trim the excess lip to where the mounlding edge is flush which was about 3/8". There is also a seam in the outer side of the wheel well that must be removed. See this in the gallery. Thanks for the compliments.

Tom

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Tom, yeah I hadn't planned on ordering anything 'till I figured what rear I'm going with and measuring.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Tom, do you think a 315/60 15 would fit under my '70 Dart? It will be mini-tubbed and have the springs moved in. I will probably go with a 15x10" wheel with 7 1/2" backspacing. Thanks

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The width won't be a problem, but I think that tire is 30" tall. It won't work unless the rear is moved back. Moving my rear back 1" I have about 1 3/8" clearance from the front of the tire to the front lip. If you are going to relocate the springs, moving the rear back an inch is easy while you have it all apart.

Tom

G

·
HAY TOM ,WHATS THE DEAL ON FORD DISC BRAKES ON THE REAR ,WHERE CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS,LIKE WHAT YEAR FORD AND WAS THERE ALOT OF MODS TO MAKE IT WORK,AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST ,HOW DO YOU LIKE THE SET UP?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
HAGENBEASLEY said:
HAY TOM ,WHATS THE DEAL ON  FORD DISC BRAKES ON THE REAR ,WHERE CAN I LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS,LIKE WHAT YEAR FORD AND WAS THERE ALOT OF MODS TO MAKE IT WORK,AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST ,HOW DO YOU LIKE THE SET UP?
I welded up a buddies 4 link in his Chevy and the Art Morrission kit came with Ford Motorsport SVO brakes. So it was in my thoughts. When I called Strange to have my S60 built, they listed an affordable disk brake kit. Strange told me that it was the SVO Ford Motorsport (Ford Explorer kit). It requires late Big Ford ends welded on the axle tube ends. So I had Strange build the 60 with the ends and had them install the bigger than Mopar no adjustment needed axle bearings and ordered the same disk brake kit from Summit for less money. My front disks are the O.E. style kit with spindles from MP Power brakes.

The Dart isn't running yet so I can't say how it drives. Works great on my buddies Chev, and the brake pads are a popular replacement at your auto parts store. Also, Strange and Moser sell end flanges.

Tom

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was also wondering why not just "massage" the front of the wheel well rather than changing the geometry of the suspension to clear a 30" tire? Just wondering, I'm getting the car moved around in the garage this weekend and up on stands to start the floors/spring relocate/mini-tub process.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.