Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on purchasing an aftermarket steering column from Flaming River for my 65' A body. I'm also switching from power steering to manual.
With the stock steering column being 30"; do I need to order a longer column in order for the steering output shaft to be able to reach the splined end on the manual steering box?
(Now I assuming it is a longer reach because I had previuously purchased a power to manual coupler and extension when I thought I'd be using the stock column.) Or....do I just order a 30" column and use the extension I already have? ??? THIS GETTING SO FREAKIN FRUSTRATING!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Simple actually. There are 2 ways you can do it.

First, the FR columns are 2"OD, same as stock, so they fit in the stock mounts, you just have to bend a little tab on the dash mount.

You can get a 32" slip-shaft column, which is a 32" housing and has a sliding shaft on the end - it slides about 4" I think to allow either manual or power with one part number column.

Or, and I prefer this way better, you can get a 30" standard column, which keeps the housing up close to the firewall, and then add a piece of 3/4"DD to the end of it, as long as you need to reach - the 3/4"DD shaft slides right up into the column shaft - once you get the length, just mark it and drill for a roll pin, or carefully have it tig'd(taking care to not melt the bushing). The ujoint you got with the 1505 adapter can be used at the box to tie it together. The extra piece of shaft from the adapter becomes a paper-weight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should add... ONLY the pre-66 A-bodies used a 2" column from the factory, so they're the only ones that can use the aftermarket tilt columns directly. All B-bodies, and all later cars had a 2.25"OD column, so there are some additional parts required to make the switch.... a column "drop", which is the clamp up under the dash, and on the firewall, the best method is to make a new gasket for the new column size. We're going to have these made so it's a bolt on, but for the moment, it's a home job.

All the aftermarket columns also use a 14-pin GM connector, so you also need to splice the other side of that plug into your harness, which is a cake job if your key is on the dash. Which reminds me, none of the aftermarket columns have a key switch. Ididit has one, but with GM keys.

AND, they all have a GM mounting for the steering wheels - when getting an aftermarket wheel like a Grant, you need to ask for the GM adapter. Or of course, get the adapter right with the column for particular wheels - 5 bolt, 6 bolt, or whatever kind of mounting pattern the wheel has....

Just FYI... :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
What does this stuff generally go for Bill?

--chad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what other places do, but I sell the FR plain columns for 309 and the polished stainless ones for 419. The dash clamp is 69 and the other half of the GM wiring plug is 15. A ujoint is 59, and a foot of plain steering shaft is 10. There's also polished stainless shaft, which is 30 for a foot, and polished stainless ujoints are 80. Billet wheel adapters from FR are 89 I believe - or maybe 69, which then allow whatever wheel - wheels of course are varied. Most of the customers I deal with get the WaterFall wheel from FR which is 400 and change, but I like the Evolution better - it feels better in your hands than the WaterFall and is 1/3 the cost at 139. I believe their new Tuff wheel is in the 400 range too. Right now, I have the old standby - a Grant GT - 40 bucks is for me ;D

It's interesting to note that the WaterFall wheel is HEAVY - the Evo is kinda lightweight, like a stock wheel - maybe 2lbs - but the waterfall is around 7lbs all by itself - very beefy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bill_Reilly said:
I should add... ONLY the pre-66 A-bodies used a 2" column from the factory, so they're the only ones that can use the aftermarket tilt columns directly. All B-bodies, and all later cars had a 2.25"OD column, so there are some additional parts required to make the switch.... a column "drop", which is the clamp up under the dash, and on the firewall, the best method is to make a new gasket for the new column size. We're going to have these made so it's a bolt on, but for the moment, it's a home job.

Just FYI...  :)
any release date on a bolt in kit for a 72 dart?if not, how does the adapter for the fire wall thats used now attatch?factory holes or drill? any pics. of the firewall of one installed? thanks stu

·
Registered
779 Posts
Iv'e got the FR stainless column but it's not installed yet. FYI, I have a 16/1 ratio FR manual steering box, brand new, that I don't need. Since I bought it in April I decided to go with Bill's Alterkation. I paid $399.00 plus shipping. I don't know if it is interchangeable but a quick call to FR can answer that question. I'll take $375.00 and pay for shipping if you want it.
Jim
[email protected]

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm waiting for the pieces to get here, should be soon. The pieces I had made resemble a thermostat housing gasket, about 1/4" thick, from teflon. The piece bolts into the stock firewall brackets and takes up the extra space, so it's a piece of cake to attach the FR or Ididit columns.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sign me up for one when you get it please,my project can wait a couple of months. thanks stu

1 - 9 of 9 Posts