Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
if youre talking about using an air bag suspension, Im thinking the snubber could cause some interference when you go to drop it down very much, which is why you would be going air-bags anyway, right?

I dont think Id use one in that circumstance

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, no. i want to use them because theyre a nice ride. i have the 8 1/4 right now, but idunno how long itll live so i picked up a truck d60, it'll be built up and i've heard the difference between the truck and car ones is the pinion snuber, now, i understand this is there to stop the suspension from going too high, and putting the driveshaft into a neutral position, so i did some investigation, and found, that i could a: get the case machined,  :-[, or b: use the monoleaf/caltrac setup. ??? while i like the idea of caltracs, its a street car, and i'm leaning to something like a shockwave/watt link+4link type setup. wichll give me the best of all worlds. while i come up with these ideas, i worry about the shocks being the limiter, and wonder if I can use a bump stop over the tube. etc. just lookin to see if anybody is running a 4link/air abg wiithout snubers, and having no problems, or if there are any horror stories out there about not using one, and haveing a shock comeup through the floor etc. looking for info like if the rear mounts need to reinforced, or if i need to tube out the rear (yikes!)

G

·
I take the pinion snubber off all the air ride cars to gain 2 more inches of travel, never had a problem. Although on one car, an air line broke, and without any bottoming bumpers the driveshaft bumped the floor on every bounce. Driveshaft contact is really the only worry with air ride - pinion angle is no big deal in that respect. Keep in mind, if the 4 links are level at ride height, the pinion goes downward in both directions of travel - just opposite that of leaf springs.

In my car, I'm going to jack the rear up until the driveshaft is 1/4" away from the floor and make a bumpstop of some sort to make sure I don't grind the floor out if I lose air. The a-bodies have bumpstops on the frame rails above the axle tubes, so I might make some there, or just make one in the center above the diff that bolts to the cover bolts.

If you do a 4 bar system of some sort, you'll be making your own upper shock mounts, so strength in that area won't be an issue anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts