Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everbody, does any body know what the weight for the alterktion compared to the factory setup would be? Is the alterktion kit lighter? For 70 Dart.......Thanks Matt

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes it is lighter. I'm sure Bill will chime in this morning. But if I remember right it is about 140#'s. You have to see a alterKation to apprechate (SP) the quality of Bill's work.

·
Registered
304 Posts
abodyjoe said:
i think it is suposed to be like 80-90 pounds lighter the a stock set up... i plan on weighing my car before and after i install mine..
You are correct, sir. After I installed mine on my duster, I weighed all the parts. It came up to be roughly around 90-95 pounds of weight reduction. If you have power steering and are converting to the manual rack, you would more than likely save more weight...as you would not be using the power steering pump and the power steering gearbox is heavier than the manual (aluminum) gear box.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My stock K had the engine mounts cut off, a notch for the oil pan and the sway bar was removed. I switched from 75 Dart disc brakes to street Wilwoods when I installed the AlterKtion. I switched to Bill's upper control arms. My AlterKtion had no sway bar and no mounts. I had manual steering and my AlterKtion has a manual rack. I saved 90 pounds...

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
What other benefits are there aside from the weight savings? More clearance for a BB? Is it worth the cost? (yes, I know, that's a subjective question.) I just need to know if the 90lb. weight savings and potential 10th drop in e.t. is worth the $$$$.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If all you're going for is weight reduction, then the price you are going to pay is not worth it. I'm sure you could find other areas on the car that would net a 100 lb loss for a lot less money. However, if you are looking to increase clearance for headers, improve the handling and the over all driving attitude of the car, then go for it. The reason I bought one for my duster was to inprove on the suspension geometry...the stock geometry once the car is lowered is quite rotten. My tires were toeing in when I left the start line and stayed that way all the way down the track. Now that I have a challenger, one of the first BIG purchases I made was the alterKtion.....just for the simple reason I did not want the headache of tuning up and replacing all that stuff on a dated front suspension that was not going to net me the driving attitue I wanted out of the car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Tubbed440 said:
If all you're going for is weight reduction, then the price you are going to pay is not worth it. 
[]{}

Bill should be shipping my Alterkation to me week after next. I ordered everything from the Waterfall steering wheel to the 12" Wilwoods.

For me the reasons for buying are improved handling, safety (better brakes), cool factor and weight savings. The Alterkation weight savings plus the new engine (all-aluminum) willl drop over 200 lbs off the front end of the Dart.

·
Registered
31 Posts
HB69DART said:
For me the reasons for buying are improved handling, safety (better brakes), cool factor and weight savings.
[]{}

The AlterKtion dropped 85 lbs off the front end...but more importantly, the car is now stable at top end. No more sloppy steering, the Wilwoods are a big improvement over the factory discs, it drives like a new car, there's much more room for fabbed headers. money well spent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts