Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alt gauge was going crazy, then went to discharge I checked my wireing  and found the dark blue feild wire fried from the alt all the way up to the fourway splice in the harness. I just got the car on the road and hooked up all my wireing back up my question is can you hook up the feild wires wrong and if so would that cause my problem? also I had my choke wire spliced into that wire could that have ground it out. **(*)

·
Registered
92 Posts
as far as i know it does not matter which side is where....i have tore apart 3 or 4 cars multiple times and never marked the wires...never had any problems....as far as using that as a choke....i wouldnt...sounds like you cooked the alternator or killed the voltage regulator..make sure your voltage regulator is getting a good ground...make sure u have a solid ground from the block to the chassis

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just remember when you start splicing you sacrifice the integrity of the wire.May not be your problem but just food for thought. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've seen a lot of mopar's with fried field wires. I'd guess it's the poor connection those slip-on connectors make on the alternator. Plus all the motor heat and 30 plus years. So the connection or wire insulation goes bad and you have high current flowing thru the wire and it fries.

As for the wiring, depends on if it's the single or dual field. Guess it's a dual and it shouldn't matter which connection on the alternator you use.

Liked 71 demon stated, you start tapping into old wiring, you never know what you'll get. And adding more load (electric choke) isnt' going to help. I like to add a ballast resistor to an electric choke, to slow it down a bit, but that's another story.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts