Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a bonehead question. My Dart had a new alternator with a double groove pulley and I'm switching to a single. Why won't my gear puller remove the pulley? Never done this with a Mopar alternator.

Tom

·
Registered
541 Posts
Tom if I remember it is pressed on. This is why you "Never" put a moroso etc single on a used alt. It gets destroyed coming off. use a butane torch and heat the pulley from the front on the flat. It should then come off with a puller. You might not be able to get it off sorry know it is not the awnser you were looking for. be careful not to heat the shaft going through the pulley. You want the pulley to expand not the shaft.. anyone else know of a different way.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I tried it with a little heat last week and still nothing. I have an old fried alternator with a single groove and I was going to switch it out. I can just leave it, but it won't look right.

Tom

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can the pulley off easy if you have the tool on the left in the pic. I think the tool is under $20.00 and this is the same tool to remove most PS pulleys.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Putting the pulley in is just as easy, if you have a press. You can do it in 15 min.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you own a freezer and a big C clamp and an oven, You can also do it. Throw the pulley in the oven on 500, alt in the freezer for 30 min. The pulley just about falls on but the last 1/4 of an inch, it needs a little push. But this way you don't need to take the alt apart, but it takes a little longer due to heating and cooling time. I use to rebuild alt's in the garage for extra cash a while back and always used the press, but you always get stuck once in a while so you get creative. One time I used a hydraulic jack under a trailer hitch on a truck to push the pulley on after heating it! doh

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Keith Mopar said:
You can the pulley off easy if you have the tool on the left in the pic. I think the tool is under $20.00 and this is the same tool to remove most PS pulleys.
how does that tool work?
anyone else got an idea of how to remove it?I'm about to take it to a machine shop !mad*

·
Registered
124 Posts
I bought and have used the alt. pulley puller.  The collar fits around the button on the front of the pulley. that way the pulley wont be distorted by the puller. It's a great tool to have, used it on my alt. when I rebuilt it and several times for other people. Willie

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
i looked all over for the tool,no luck.i used my regular puller and f'd up the pully but got it off -0*(
i figured i would'nt need it anytime soon,most likely i will ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
That looks like the type of puller that you'd use to remove the pulley on a power steering pump while it is the car. OTC and Snap-On both have them.
Daryl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts