Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? ::)I moved my battery to the trunk over the winter and added the master shut off switch to keep it track legal. Now my problem seems to be the battery is not charging. On the back of the alternator I kept the 2 original field wires connected and ran a new wire from the alternator output directly to the battery in the trunk. I removed the original output connection from the alternator output. It seems like I only see battery voltage when I test the alternator output. Could I have a problem with the voltage regulator? It is one of the constant output units and is only 2 years old.

·
Registered
227 Posts
do you have a good battery ground?Are you testing the alternator directly at the pos. post coming off the back of the alternator?If so,try doing a voltage check after the voltage regulator.If your getting good voltage right at the alternator you know your alternator is putting out.Then see if you get close to the same voltage on the output(after)side of the voltage regulator.If your regulator is screwing up bad enough to cause a no charge it's going to be pretty obvious that you will get a fairly low reading.It would be best to do an amp draw on the alt. to test if it is putting out correctly.After all the amperage is whats feeding the battery to keep sufficient voltage.Most people don't have access to a load tester(at least i don't).hope this helps.

·
Registered
805 Posts
When mounting the battery to the trunk, make sure you put a ground wire off the motor to the chassis. You need 2 good grounds when mounting battery in trunk. One up front and other at the battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts