Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the differance between the cast iron and aluminum master, other than the wieght savings and lack of rusting with the aluminum.
I am trying to find a new aluminum master cylinder with reservoirs but all the new ones are now made from cast iron . Since I am cheap, I don't want to spend the money for the MP master. I have tried several auto parts suppliers and all are cast iron. I even called some of the manufacturers and they said that they are now made of cast iron :'(.
If I purchase a rebuilt master it will probably be aluminum, but it does not come with the reservoir and caps o[. I need a complete master assembly for my disc brake conversion. Reservoirs are not available seperately in my area, Ontario, Canada.
The master I am trying to get is for an 85 Chrysler 5th Avenue with 1 1/32" bore.

So what is the differance between the aluminum and cast iron?

gt

G

·
The alum. versus the old 4-bolt style is 6lbs.... 2lbs versus 8lbs. But there wouldn't be that much difference in the newer style iron - probably a pound or two is all. That little housing is small.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Has anyone tried the mid 80's AMC aluminum master cylinders? They look like the one on my Dart, but I don't know if the bolt holes will line up.

·
Registered
541 Posts
anybody know if the aluminum one leaks out the back when they go bad. If they don't that in itself would be worth the price. And now we know why there are so many rusted drivers floor pans o[

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have to replace my cast iron one because it leaks out of the back. I was told by the parts house the new style aluminum masters were canned because they always leaked.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cast iron weighs 4 pounds with empty reservoir.
The manufacturers said that it is cheaper to make the iron ones as opposed to the aluminum master cylinders.

gt

·
Registered
320 Posts
Buy a new Bendix MC for an 85 5th ave. I put one on my 73 and it works great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts