Big Block Dart Forums banner

AMC Drums on a Mopar

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  grimes 
#1 ·
Ok , a long time ago, in a world far far away....well cyber scace anyway. I once heard that you could put amc gremlin drums on the front of a mopar to convert to the larger bolt pattern. Has any one tryed this???

#4 ·
Ok I didnt make myself perfectly clear. I am working on the front, not the rear. I have 9" drums and the amc used 9" drums. My only problem is with the bearings, mopars is smaller. I have the drums, and they will work if I can figure out bearings to make it fit the spindle.

#5 ·
No, Grimes, we understand what your trying to do. I just corrected what Lodaddy said. I've also heard about the possible use of AMC drums for the 4.5" conversion, but have no real evidence of success, or of anyone that has tried it.

The best I can suggest is to get the wheel bearings for both Mopar and AMC drums, then hit a friendly bearing specialty supply shop to see if they can come up with something that has the Mopar I.D, but the AMC O.D.

Roger

#6 ·
If I come up with bearings I will post it for future referance. I am trying it, as I am not bulding a hot rod out of this car...a 65 Valiant...I just want some wheels I cant get in sbp. Dog dishes i just dont care for. -0*(

#7 ·
Well the jury is in. Its a spit dession. the drums "would work" IF you could find bearings. The size and depth of the drums is perfect. Only the bearings are smaller on the a body. There are NO bearings that will fit the hub, and then fit the spindle. The bearings are the same as B body as I thought about using that hub and then the amc drum, but that wouldnt work either. Is If any one getts the hair brained idea to try this...DONT unless you own a machine shop where you make some bearing spacers. doh **(*) -0*( -0*( -0*( -0*(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.