Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Longtime lurker here finally posting some pics on my junk. I'll post a link to my Flickr photoshare site instead of burning bandwidth on Bill's site. I'll be adding pic's as I've got some motivation to get moving on this project again, so check back when you can. I had to stop in late 2009 with work and home projects taking priority. Here's where I am with it when I stopped;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157606799820203/

Also, early last year, decided to take advantage of the real estate market and move into a bigger garage! Now I can really work on it in comfort.

Specs:
1967 Barracuda Fastback, lite yellow/white interior, was 273 w/col. shift auto. I bought the project roller minus engine/trans from a friend who couldn't finish it. It was an Oregon car with minor rust in the lower quarters, front floorpans, and trunk.

Plans are 440, 4-speed, Dana conversion with 8-pt bar, mini-tub, spring re-location. Chassis lightening by removal of all non-essentials, like the backseat, A/C - heater, etc. This will be a strip car that will see light street duty. Ultimate goal is 10.0 quarters. May not get there soon but it's a stretch goal, lol. Gonna start small with a mild 440 first and get the chassis sorted out and me seat time rowing gears. Then go from there.

Color change to bright platinum silver, blacked out 'glass hood and cowl with black and red interior.

I know how you folks love pictures, so I'll be loading up a bunch more on Flickr soon. Enjoy!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Welcome to B B D! Good to have another 2nd gen. Cuda. Looks like it's coming along nicely and sounds like you have a good plan. Watch out though, you're going to want more..... and more.... and MORE! (not that there's anything wrong with that!) :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update - More pics

Just added 25 more pics to the Flickr set. Brings it up to date with where I am now. Next step is to weld the wheel wells back in and start on the frame connectors. Also, I got to replace the drivers side floor pan. Typical rust area.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Very nice job, but just do like I did and jump in with both feet and build a Hemi for it. My motor should be done soon hopefully rowing some gears this summer my self.

Great Job keep it going.

P.S. Mines 69 fastback, Hemi, 4 speed, Dana 4.56

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks much Sky.

I've acquired a lot of wedge parts on the cheap over the past ten years, so I'm sticking to that format for now. I gotta see if I can drive this thing first.

Already have the 18 spine 833, TTI 2" headers, Ebrock 84cc heads, M1 intake, and Bill Mitchell 750 DP. Hope this will get me in the low 12's to high 11's once the chassis and me are sorted out. We'll see.

Got the trans tunnel cut out this week for the 4-speed hump and the e-brake cable moved in prep for the frame connectors. Will be cutting out the rusted out driver's floor pan next.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This guy builds very detailed machines. He has a 70 Challenger rotisserie job that is magazine quality!!

Keep up with his posts, the progress will be awesome!!

Mike
Jeezz Mike, set the bar for me will ya? This won't be detailed as I did the Challenger. This is a beat the snot out of, frustation reliever play car. <grin>

Anyway, more progress as I've got the floor shift tunnel cut out and fitted. Also, got the driver side floor pan cut out and am in the process of trimming the new piece to fit. Hope to fire up the welder this weekend and start putting stuff back together.

Go to the last page for the new pics.

BTW, I took the time to measure the weight of the some of the undercoating I scraped off the bottom. I was astonished it was 23 lbs. This was a fully undercoated car from the factory. I got about 2 and a half times of this much off the bottom of the car, so I figure I took over 50 lbs of crud off the chassis. If your on the fence about doing this because of the effort, well here's proof of what it's worth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update

Here's an update on my progress. Finished the drivers side floor pan and 4-speed tunnel. Tired of body work atm, so I started on the trans. After dis-assembly of the E-body 18-spline, I sent the gears out to Liberty for face-plating and their cryo treatment. I got them back last week so I started on the assembly/conversion to an A-body 18-spline. Check out the progress starting here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6933147427/in/set-72157606799820203#/

Enjoy.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just recognized this car and realized you bought my NOS Hurst shifter for this car! Looks like it went to a good cause! This looks to be a fun car you're building.

Also, I saw some pics of the new coating you're using on the underside of your car. Was wondering what you're using. Also, is it somewhat soft when dry or is it more of a hard urethane? I'm looking for a good, not thick product to use on the underside of my '69 Cuda...

Jeezz Mike, set the bar for me will ya? This won't be detailed as I did the Challenger. This is a beat the snot out of, frustation reliever play car. <grin>

Anyway, more progress as I've got the floor shift tunnel cut out and fitted. Also, got the driver side floor pan cut out and am in the process of trimming the new piece to fit. Hope to fire up the welder this weekend and start putting stuff back together.

Go to the last page for the new pics.

BTW, I took the time to measure the weight of the some of the undercoating I scraped off the bottom. I was astonished it was 23 lbs. This was a fully undercoated car from the factory. I got about 2 and a half times of this much off the bottom of the car, so I figure I took over 50 lbs of crud off the chassis. If your on the fence about doing this because of the effort, well here's proof of what it's worth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think your referring to the 3-M spray rubberized undercoating I used in the front wheel wells. I got it from a local auto paint supply house. I'll use it in the rear wheel wells as well. I hear truck bed-liner works pretty well also.
Anyway, the underside will be prepped and painted body color. Since it's a stick car, I'll be spending a lot of time under there, lol!

And yes, I bought your shifter. I'll be mocking it up on the trans as soon as I get it buttoned up. I'm still waiting on new steel shifter rings and front bearing retainer.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It's been awhile...

But I'm making some progress. Other home projects, work, and surgery set me back a few months.

The roll bar and spring mounts are done. I farmed those out to Mike at Comp Chassis.

Went to SEMA last year and got a great deal on a McLeod Soft-lock clutch. That inspired me to order the Quick-time bell housing.

Next I replaced the trunk floor and mounted the fuel cell, battery box, and cutoff switch. Now I'm working on the rear fire wall and side panels. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
V-Gate Shifter

I scored this in a parts trade with my good friend, Mike F(az426hemi). It's a Mr Gasket V-gate shifter in great shape. A through cleaning, new bushings, lube, adjustment and it's like new. I've ordered a new T-handle with a line lock button.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also started the engine build.

I picked up a pre-World MP Mega Block off of Craigs List a couple of years ago for a great price. One of those deals you just can't pass up. I was going to build a mild 440 just to start out with and get my feet wet. Well after talking with Brian at IMM Engines, that plan went out the window. He said why spend money on a 40+ yr old block when you have the new one.

Point taken, so he's got the Mega block at his shop building a nice stout and streetable pump gas engine for the 'Cuda. Since I'm using shelf TTI 2" headers in an A-body, heads are Indy 325cc Big EZ's that he's worked his magic on. I emphasized streetablity and durability as one of my bucket list items is Drag Week, hopefully in 2014. It'll be dyno'd, so I'll post a video of the session when it's complete. ECD is sometime next month.

After my surgery, I realized I'm not getting any younger so I'd better do this now while I still can.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Thats looking real good. Very nice work. Wow looking at your trans and shifter really brings back memories to me of when I bracket raced a 4-speed car with a Hurst Super Shifter. Once I got that baby adjusted right I could slam some mean gears with that shifter ! Ron

1 - 20 of 51 Posts