Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pondering using an .800" offset perch and shackle arrangement. I might eventually get around to mini tubbing it , but I just want a bit more room in there for now.
I am planning to compensate with wheel offset and / or spacers to even out the quarter panel lip vs. leaf spring clearance.
I will be switching to axles with 4 1/2 " bolt centers and I also don't know if this will change overall axle width or not. Anyone with experience in these matters....where is my thinking flawed ?
What should I be doing ?
Thanks again,
J.S.

G

·
I moved my springs in with the mopar parts and had a b body rear narrowed to fit with a 235/60r15 tire centered in the wheelwell. I have 1" on either side of the tire, maybe even a little more. I plan to go to a 9" wide 28" tall tire in the future and should have room to do it with stock wheelwells and fender openings. my only complaint is that it cost me twice what I planned on spending. ;D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 9" slick is my goal. I had a '66 Cyclone with a nice 429 that launched to the tune of a 1.61 60' on this much tire. I got the parts from Mancini today and will now need to track down the spindles and stuff for the front.....axles for the rear....oh , yea......backing plates , drums.....battery in the trunk.....maybe a sump and pump for the fuel tank. Why , oh Lord ? Why do I do this to myself.
This is gonna be fun ! **(*)
J.S.

G

·
If I was going to drive another Ford, a 66-69 Cyclone or Fairlane would be the only ones that I would pick. Love those cars! I had 2 different 68 Fairlanes in the past and nowadays I just don't see many of them around. Getting almost as rare as my beloved Mopar. []{}

·
Registered
660 Posts
tubtar said:
I am pondering using an .800" offset perch and shackle arrangement. I might eventually get around to mini tubbing it , but I just want a bit more room in there for now.
I am planning to compensate with wheel offset and / or spacers to even out the quarter panel lip  vs. leaf spring clearance.
I will be switching to axles with 4 1/2 " bolt centers and I also don't know if this will change overall axle width or not.   Anyone with experience in these matters....where is my thinking flawed ?
What should I be doing ?
Thanks again,
                        J.S.
Eight days ago, geez I'm really falling behind...

If you have an 8-3/4 now and it has factory brakes and a 4" bolt pattern... You need new axles with 4.5" BP. You also need backing plates, hardware, and drums from a bigger car (with 4.5" BP). The axles need to be "special" for this - Moser knows what you need, I'm told. This WILL increase the track width! You'll need a wheel with certain backspacing to work.

IMO this is the way to go. You get rid of the oddball A-body brakes for something more common, you get stronger axles, and a 4.5" BP.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.