Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a large wrecking yard recovering the emergency brake line for my SVO rear disks. The rear sway bar on the Ford Explorer is very narrow, has a nice hump to fit around the center section and is 3/4". It has nice drop end links. If you have relocated springs looking for ideas, and you are you are at the wrecking yard, take a look. I almost took it home but figured I had enough junk.

The yard was full of Exploders. Most were in nasty roll over from you know what. ::)

Tom

·
Registered
124 Posts
Tom,

I remembered how good your adapted F250 front bar looked and was planning to eventually do the same. Do you think the Explorer rear bar would work even better? Are they both 3/4"?

I just bought the SVO brake set-up. Maybe I'm putting too much Ford stuff on my Mopar. Maybe I should have bought a Mustang...not!

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My rear bar is a very good install but may be a little large. Seriously go look at the rear bar from the Explorers next time you are at the pull a part. I looked at about 8 of them in the wrecking yard and the year didn't seem to matter. They have similar end links like the ones I'm using, just smaller.

tom

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got one off of an 86 comaro that looks like the after market bars I've seen. It looks like a muffler clamp holding the bar to the axle and drill and the frame to hold the brackets for the ends. It's going on an 8 1/4. Haven't installed it yet, but I think it will work. The bar without brackets is 39" wide. It's 3/4 dia. I saw an IROC that has 7/8 bar right after I bought the 3/4 bar....boohoo. I was looking at the one on a Mazda mini van earlier today that looked like it would work good with an 8 3/4. Haven't measure it so I don't know how wide it is.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I remember right, a sway bar mounted under a rear with relocated springs can't be any longer than 34". I wish I had found it earlier.

Tom

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ray, I looked at several years from the mid 90's and they looked the same. I know I looked at '94 and '95. Of course a little fabrication will be needed but that's the fun. Just keep it in mind when you go to the yard.

Another thing a guy should do is start collecting all the rear disk brakes off these cars. Also I found some Explorers with 8.8" 3.73 lockers. I wish I had more room.

Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
b569rr said:
Ray, I looked at several years from the mid 90's and they looked the same. I know I looked at '94 and '95. Of course a little fabrication will be needed but that's the fun. Just keep it in mind when you go to the yard.

Another thing a guy should do is start collecting all the rear disk brakes off these cars. Also I found some Explorers with 8.8"  3.73 lockers. I wish I had more room.

Tom
HI Tom, what junk yard did you go to ? I am heading toward the coast soon just might pick up a few things I can get as easily over here.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I go to Meridian auto Wrecking. It is one of the biggest in our area on the Puyallup hill / Graham border. Its on 200th and Meridian. No A bodies by the way, i checked ;D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Be carefull how large you go on that rear bar. I used to road race a Firebird ( I know I'm asking for it) and larger is definatly not allways better. My Firebird worked best with a 3/4" bar. If you go too large the car will over steer. I've been told A body Mopars work best with out a rear bar. I think I read that about 15 years ago when one of the Mopar magazines raced a Valiant in the One Lap of America Race.

Tim

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts