Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I pretty much have my dart shell sanded to the metal, the only areas that are left are the door and trunk jams and engine bay.The car has 11 coats, adding the primers, What is the best way to get the paint off in these areas? Thanks for any help. Darren

·
Registered
660 Posts
In my limited experience, sandblasting will work for removing the pint, but make one hell of a mess. Plus, the sand is too aggressive and leaves a rough texture. In some cases, you can warp sheetmetal, I'm told. I end up blasting, then sanding, then painting.

I would go with the 4.5" wire brush to get down to bare metal, then sand before the primer.

G

·
sand blasting works. slow, boring and not much fun. ive used around #600 of sand for the whole car. but it gets into places that i cant get with a sander and doesnt leave a mess like chem strippers do. it also leaves a kind of rough surface for primer. green nickel slag seems to work the best and is only about $6 for#100. if you can, blast outdoors cause that sand gets everywhere and theres alot of dust.

·
Registered
660 Posts
sweatybetty said:
sand blasting works. slow, boring and not much fun. ive used around #600 of sand for the whole car. but it gets into places that i cant get with a sander and doesnt leave a mess like chem strippers do. it also leaves a kind of rough surface for primer. green nickel slag seems to work the best and is only about $6 for#100. if you can, blast outdoors cause that sand gets everywhere and theres alot of dust.
[]{}
AND WEAR A RESPIRATOR! That dust is no good.

G

·
sand blasting is not a good thing for a beginner to use especially on flat body panels.you will end up with what looks like a sack of walnuts if you get to aggressive.the sand warps alot.there is such a thing as plastic media blasting.it will not warp.i have seen newer dodge caravan fenders stripped completely with this method and no warpage at all.if you sand blast in the trunk jam and go over onto the flat top of the qtr you could possibly warp it.are you planning on doing all your own body work?body work is not something that can be quickly slopped thru,if  you want a straight car.body filler is a wonderful thing if it is used properly.                         former bodyman

·
Registered
154 Posts
fourspeed said:
In my limited experience, sandblasting will work for removing the pint, but make one hell of a mess. Plus, the sand is too aggressive and leaves a rough texture. In some cases, you can warp sheetmetal, I'm told. I end up blasting, then sanding, then painting.

I would go with the 4.5" wire brush to get down to bare metal, then sand before the primer.
Soft media blasting at one of our local shops cost me 200.00 and there wasnt a place that wasnt down to bare metal. I couldnt have done it in labor and materials for that and it took 3 days from drop off to pick up to bring it home. (Actually 4 hours in the blast booth) You'd spend at least that in materials/electric/sandpaper ect and still have to clean up. For me it was a good 200.00 spent and it was "Virgin Clean Metal"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts