Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
watch out with the TTI headders for an early a-body... i hear they have starter fitment problems.... i heard that even a mopar mini starter doesn't fit. you need to use an even smaller starter and thats a few hundred bucks... i also heard that people are having problems with the real little starter too... so you better ask alot of questions when you talk to TTI. and i would goto many mopar web sites and ask alot of questions about them before you spend $900. or maybe even go with dougs headders. i've seen them on a few cars and they fit very nice.... and if this thread is true http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...ead.php?t=11877 maybe go with spit fires.. they actually work very well and are alot cheaper then the other two.... just make sure you get them C.O.D.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I actually ordered a set from Promax at Carlisle. Wrote up the purchase order for $650. I figured with the money I'd save on shipping that was as good of a deal I'd seen. Promax called me a few days later and said the headers went up to $750 and I "HAD" to use the mini starter that only TTI made. It was over $200!!!! :eek: Needless to say I canceled my order.

G

·
Maybe it's because the tti's are stepped 1-5/8 to 1-3/4. I have Dougs and they are 1-5/8 but come really close to a mini starter and the torsion bars and steering linkage, but if the pipes were any bigger they would hit. Headers on an early a are a curse, but it looks like Doug's did the best job for under car headers. -o :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
i know we all have had problems,,with laysons,,,but he has headers for the early A,, and i have seen a pair of them on a car at carlisle,,they look like they fit good,,but thay have a slip in weld in flange to the down pipe,,i have also seen some thing very close to them but has a bolt on collector,,could this be the spit fire header?? dougs look ok,,also but the shorter headers ive seen seem to look like they fit way better.... then there is always the hooker 5208,

all tho the instructions come with a print of where to cut a gaint hole in the fender well,,,you do not need a hole that big,, i use to run those headers,, we cut a small hole and jacked up the car removed the tire,,and spun the header thru the hole while lowering it down in,,just kept trimming the hole till it was big enough,,and the finished hole was no where near the size they tell you to cut,,and i used the hookers with a 4 speed,,,im not sure what they cost these days,,,but im sure are cheaper then dougs,,,

·
Registered
143 Posts
if the ones laysons is selling are spit fire,,,
who is making the ones i see with 2 bolt collector flanges?? some are short,,some are long tube but both sets look the same at the head,,just differnt at the collector ive seen shortys and longer tubes....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Layson't is not selling Spitfires. They are selling headers that look like spitfires. I haven't seen them, and don't know about the flanges, but my Spitfires have three bolt flanges that will have to be welded on as the headers are fitted and headpipes are fabricated for your car and style preferences. See DJV Cudas photos.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got my set today from UPS. Ordered the at Springfling. They appear to be a good quality set of headers like the TTI's on my 67 GT. They look like the old D Dart headers

·
Registered
111 Posts
Let us know about the starter issues we've been reading about. Pictures are always nice. Best of luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
64ragtop said:
Let us know about the starter issues we've been reading about. Pictures are always nice. Best of luck!
Thanks, I need to mod the Z bar to fit on my 64. I don't think I'll have issues with header clearance. The headers I looked at down at the FLING were on a mockup with the MP starter. Didn't appear to have clearance problems

·
Registered
23 Posts
dart4forte said:
64ragtop said:
Let us know about the starter issues we've been reading about.  Pictures are always nice.  Best of luck!
Thanks, I need to mod the Z bar to fit on my 64. I don't think I'll have issues with header clearance. The headers I looked at down at the FLING were on a mockup with the MP starter. Didn't appear to have clearance problems
Unfortunately, that was not a MP starter on the mockup. It was a Powermaster.  :(

Lee

·
Registered
111 Posts
lilcuda said:
The headers I looked at down at the FLING were on a mockup with the MP starter. Didn't appear to have clearance problems
Unfortunately, that was not a MP starter on the mockup. It was a Powermaster. :(

Lee
And as I understand it, the powermaster starter has some reliability issues. (maybe i got that wrong?) but it is made of "unobtanium", and thus on eternal universal backorder at a premium price, In addition to the "significant" T.T.I. header price.

What I was wondering originally was: does anyone have, or know personally of anyone with a set of the T.T.I. early A body small block V-8 headers that are actually being run on the street and/or strip. I cannot afford to be the guinea pig on an issue like this, and I suspect I'm not alone in that status; though, as usual, I could be wrong. Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
64ragtop said:
lilcuda said:
The headers I looked at down at the FLING were on a mockup with the MP starter. Didn't appear to have clearance problems
Unfortunately, that was not a MP starter on the mockup. It was a Powermaster.  :(

Lee
And as I understand it, the powermaster starter has some reliability issues.  (maybe i got that wrong?) but it is made of "unobtanium", and thus on eternal universal backorder at a premium price, In addition to the "significant" T.T.I. header price.

What I was wondering originally was: does anyone have, or know personally of anyone with a set of the T.T.I. early A body small block V-8 headers that are actually being run on the street and/or strip.  I cannot afford to be the guinea pig on an issue like this, and I suspect I'm not alone in that status; though, as usual, I could be wrong.  Thanks!
I haven't heard anything about the reliability of the Powermaster starter, but I have heard that is not available yet. I decided against the TTI's for 2 reasons, one is the starter. I don't want to be stuck somewhere trying to find a powermaster starter because mine died. With th MP mini starter, you could find a late model car in the wrecking yard and get by with a mini starter from a donor car. The second reason is that I don't want to have to remove my torsion bars anytime I need to remove the headers. It probably won't happen that often, but I still think it's a bad design. I'll be buying Doug's headers.

Lee
1966 Barracuda, 340, 4 speed

·
Registered
23 Posts
mopar stu said:
as i said in my post above,thats what i'm runnin'
If you're running them on the car pictured in your signature, then we're talking apples and oranges. The 67 and up a bodies have a ton more room for headers than the early a bodies.

Lee
1966 Barracuda, 340, 4 speed

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the TTI ceramic coated 1 3/4 inch 440 A body headers in a 69 440 cuda with a 4 speed. with the 10 1/2 inch bellhousing and a mini starter. The headers fit OK but I had to ding them for clearance for the steering shaft coupler. The rear of the right side header could be inboard another 1/2 inch for better clearance to bolt the exhaust to the collector. I had to make a custom socket for the number 7 sparkplug. I have pics if anybody needs to see them. BBD

1 - 20 of 30 Posts