Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering whether to buy a kit or just fab the parts myself(just like dear ole Dad used to do). I just want to see how some of you have done it.Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
459 Posts
mopardad said:
I am considering whether to buy a kit or just fab the parts myself(just like dear ole Dad used to do). I just want to see how some of you have done it.Thanks in advance.

Mike
My site has pics of mine, I used the MP kit...

Ryan

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have lots of pics also in the gallery. I used the kits and welded washers around the eye bolt holes.

Tom

G

·
TOM ,..NICE WORK!! Whatare those plates ya welded around your hangers,..look like skide plates?? also i noticed some guys do not cut the frame completly out ,..they leave one side on,..and then weld there box in.Is this the better way to go so the rail is not weaken ?? tnkud

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
rharley5652 said:
TOM ,..NICE WORK!! Whatare those plates ya welded around your hangers,..look like skide plates?? also i noticed some guys do not cut the frame completly out ,..they leave one side on,..and then weld there box in.Is this the better way to go so the rail is not weaken ??  tnkud
Not sure about strength issues cutting the entire frame section vs. leaving on frame wall. I cut both frame walls with a 3 pass fillet weld.

As for the boxes, they are homemade torque boxes. I have them on all 4 corners and pics are in the gallery. I saw boxes on a convertible A body and figured it would be a good idea to help save a high dollar paint job.

Thanks,

Tom

G

·
b569rr said:
rharley5652 said:
TOM ,..NICE WORK!! Whatare those plates ya welded around your hangers,..look like skide plates?? also i noticed some guys do not cut the frame completly out ,..they leave one side on,..and then weld there box in.Is this the better way to go so the rail is not weaken ??  tnkud
Not sure about strength issues cutting the entire frame section vs. leaving on frame wall. I cut both frame walls with a 3 pass fillet weld.

As for the boxes, they are homemade torque boxes. I have them on all 4 corners and pics are in the gallery. I saw boxes on a convertible A body and figured it would be a good idea to help save a high dollar paint job.

Thanks,

Tom
TOM,.YA SAID:
I cut both frame walls with a 3 pass fillet weld.
IS THIS THE ROD THAT CUTS STEEL?? ASLO THAT REAR SLIDE HANGER(SHACKLE),..IS THAT YOUR IDEA OR CAN YA BUY IT,..NEVER SAW THAT BUT IT SURE IS TRICK,.. I LIKE,..WHAT SIZE TIRE AND BRAND ARE YA RUNNIN???AND LAST WHAT ARE TORQUE BOXES
,..WHAT DO THE DO?? I WAS UNDER MY BELVEDERE TONIGHTAND IT LOOKS LIKE MY GAS TANK MIGHT INTERFERE WITH THE SPRINGS,..IT LAYS RIGHT AGAINST MY REAR FRAME RAILS?? MIGHT HAVE TO MOVE IT FORWARDS?? I SEE YA CUT YOUR TRUNK OUT,..WHY??
THANKS A TON FOR ALL YOUR HELP,.. tnku tnku

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
rharley5652 said:
b569rr said:
rharley5652 said:

Thanks,

Tom
TOM,.YA SAID:
I cut both frame walls with a 3 pass fillet weld.
IS THIS THE ROD THAT CUTS STEEL?? ASLO THAT REAR SLIDE HANGER(SHACKLE),..IS THAT YOUR IDEA OR CAN YA BUY IT,..NEVER SAW THAT BUT IT SURE IS TRICK,.. I LIKE,..WHAT SIZE TIRE AND BRAND ARE YA RUNNIN???AND LAST WHAT ARE TORQUE BOXES
,..WHAT DO THE DO?? I WAS UNDER MY BELVEDERE TONIGHTAND IT LOOKS LIKE MY GAS TANK MIGHT INTERFERE WITH THE SPRINGS,..IT LAYS RIGHT AGAINST MY REAR FRAME RAILS?? MIGHT HAVE TO MOVE IT FORWARDS?? I SEE YA CUT YOUR TRUNK OUT,..WHY??
THANKS A TON FOR ALL YOUR HELP,.. tnku tnku
1. No, fillet weld is just overlapping stringers. I cut my frame with cut off wheels. Make sure the car is supported and level, gapps look good and doors shut.
2. That is a Slider that replaces the shackle. Bill sells them on this site. The mounting plates are for adjustability. I will have to move mine forward 1". Most weld them directly to the bottom of the frame rail.
3.My tires are M/T 28" x 13.5". I have 11/16" clearance on both sides of the tire. I am currently fighting with Stockton wheel about my wheels. My wheels are holding up progress. Dirtbags.
4.Torque boxes are steel boxes that tie the subframe into the floor pan and also into the side structure of the car. They were found on convertible and high output mopars. They strengthen the unibody. I probably don't need them but I am Mr. overkill. Autorust Technicians sells them, I decides to fab my own.
5. I cut my trunk sump out for a trunk mounted fuel cell. For reasons you pointed out with your Belvedere, the springs were real close to the tank, but the Dana moved back an inch was into it.
6. No problem. What year Belvedere?

Tom

G

·
TOM THANKS FOR THE INFO,.. IT'S A 1966' ALABAMA CAR IT'S WHOLE LIFE,..I'M THE FIRST TO TITLE IT,... CUZ ALAMABA CARS WERE NEVER TITLED TILL I BELIEVE AROUND 1978' . I'M THE 4TH OWNER, JUST GOT IT LAST FALL, STARTED PULLING EVERY THING TONIGHT,..TANK COMES OUT TOMORROW. PROBLEY ORDER LOCATION KIT FROM SUMMIT ALSO.

G

·
CAN'T SEEM TO POST PIC'S,..WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?? I FEEL LIKE THIS GUY **(*) **(*) **(*) **(*) lol lol AND I'M NOT LAUGHIN,..EVEN TRIED USEIN PHOTO BUCKET?? ANY HELP??

G

·
doh doh doh doh doh I DID IT ,.. I FIGUERED IT OUT!!! IT'S 2:38AM I'M GOING TO TAKE A SHOWER AND GO TO BED I NEED IT!!! doh doh doh

G

·
TOM,..ONE MORE THING,.. YA SAY:Make sure the car is supported and level, gapps look good and doors shut. WITH MY CAR SITTING THE WAY IT IS IN THE FIRST PIC,..YA THINK ITS OK TO CUT FRAME (SEE REAR BUMPER JACK & STANDS UNDER CAR) ALL GAPS LOOK GOOD AND DOORS EVEN SHUT BETTER THAN WHEN IT WAS SITTING ON THE GROUND. I CAN'T RAZE THE FRONT END BUT I COULD LOWER IT A LITTLE ?/tnku

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
rharley5652 said:
TOM,..ONE MORE THING,.. YA SAY:Make sure the car is supported and level, gapps look good and doors shut. WITH MY CAR SITTING THE WAY IT IS IN THE FIRST PIC,..YA THINK ITS OK TO CUT FRAME  (SEE REAR BUMPER JACK & STANDS UNDER CAR) ALL GAPS LOOK GOOD AND DOORS EVEN SHUT BETTER THAN WHEN IT WAS SITTING ON THE GROUND.  I CAN'T RAZE THE FRONT END BUT I COULD LOWER IT A LITTLE ?/tnku
Sweet car! I meant side to side level. When I did mine, I let the car sit on its front suspension and raised the rear just enough to get my big head under there. After supporting the rear subframe with jackstands, I supported the rear of the car with adjustable screw jacks. They are not high load bearing jacks, just enough to give you a tweak if you need it.

Tom

G

·
YEP ./THATS WHAT I THOUGHT,..I'LL JUST LEAVE THAT JACK LIFT AT THE REAR BUMPER AND LEAVE MY STANDS UNDERTHE CAR @ THE SUBFRAME,..THAT LIFT IS WHAT THEY USE FOR SIMI'S AND I CAN CRANK IT UP OR DOWN 1/4" AT A TIME,..I'LL LET MOST OF THE WEIGHT SIT ON THE SUBFRAME,..FUNNY ,..I KNEW YA WERE A WELDER OR A MILLWRIGHT BEFORE I SAW YOUR WELDS BY THE SKULL CAP,AN SHIRT,..I WAS A MILLWRIGHT FOR CHRYSLER (DODGE TRUCK) 34YRS,.. RETIRED LAST YEAR! BACK IN THE VERY EARY 70'S BEFORE ANYONE KNEW ABOUT TUBBIN AND MOVEIN SPRINGS THIS IS HOW I GOT 15X10 L60'S UNDER MY 1967 CORONET 500 lol lol LOL BUT IT LOOKED GOOD AND WORKED! SABER SAWED BOTH INNER AND OUTER PANEL,..HIGH JACKERS,..LONG SHAKLES lol lol
IT CAME WITH A 318 BUT I PUT A 440 IN IT AND BEFORE I COULD REPAINT IT,.. YEP,..IT WAS STOLEN !! THEN I GOT THE 1971 CHALLENGER (SEE PIC)
THEM ARE SOME NICE DOGS YA GOT ,..YA RESCUETHEM?? HERES A PIC OF MY BUD -BOO HE'S ALWAYSIN THE GARAGE WITH ME WHEN I'M WORKIN,..HAVE A GOOD ONE . I'LL KEEP YA UPDATED ON PROGRESS/THANKS AGAIN

1 - 20 of 24 Posts