Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard you can cut the ends of a truck full floating dana 60 and weld in Mopar 8 3/4 ends with drum assembly......... Aftermarket axles?.... Does any one know how to build a Dana 60 cheep?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I thought you were going to say the explorer rear ends that look like Dana's, come with sure grip and low gears, disc brakes, and fit in A-bodies like they were meant to go there.

·
Super Moderator
1,434 Posts
Stroked GT said:
I thought you were going to say the explorer rear ends that look like Dana's, come with sure grip and low gears, disc brakes, and fit in A-bodies like they were meant to go there.
:eek:
uh.....you have my attention!
any links to such a thing would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
just go to a junkyard and look for one, turn the wheels to check for posi. i think most have the discs and low gears, might be a tag on there

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
i think they are an 8.8", like the mustang. pretty strong, but im not too sure just how much of a beating they will take from a big block. as for the cheap dana, i personally think you can build a dana cheaper than any other rear. plus its really strong. you are on the right track. the best deal is to find one with a power loc or trac loc, and 4.10s, its really not that uncommon. some trucks even came with 35 spline axles so you wont even have to change the side gears. just narrow it and get some axles. ive always wondered if any had 30 pline side gears that are the same size as stock mopar 30 splines? take a set of c body axles, have them resplined.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey jamesdart I just opened up the back cover on a dana 60 I pulled out of a '73 one ton dodge van. much to my surprise it had a trac lock diff. It does not have the 23 spline axles and they don't look as big as my 35 spline powrloc diff. I did not have the time today to pull an axle and count but if they are 30 spline I will let you know. Of course the truck differentials don't have the center spacer for axle end play so you would have to run green bearings or try to retrofit the spacer to run the car tapered bearing set up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
jamesdart said:
...ive always wondered if any had 30 pline side gears that are the same size as stock mopar 30 splines? take a set of c body axles, have them resplined.
Actually, many of the '70s Mopar 3/4 ton pick-up or 1 ton van rears were 30 spline axles.

The Dana 60 I most like to look for is any from a 1/2 ton Ford pick-up from 1966 to 1972.
They ALWAYS have powerlocks with 3.54 or 4.10 gears, and other than not having the Mopar snubber boss, the external webbing is IDENTICAL in every way to a Mopar car Dana.
They also use the 30 spline sidegears like an 8-3/4, I know, I re worked the FORD ends to accept Chrysler axle plates  and stuffed '68 C body axles into a '67 Ford 1/2 ton one I had once.

Mark.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the ford pick up rears. I deffinitely prefer the powerolck (I have 3 and needed another dana 60 housing) but I'll take the trac lock over an open end any day. One thing is interesting about the diff. in the van rear is that there are no preload springs. It seemed just like a one legger with the wheels freely turning opposite directions. But if you tried tunrning the driveshaft and loading the spider gears the clutches would lock up and feel like a posi. Just goes to show you never know what you'll find inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts