Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, i am found looking for another electronic ignition box. I just had my truck running about 3 weeks ago for about 45 seconds, i switched carbs, wired the fuel pump, and now now spark. I plugged in a gold race box i have and it fired right up, but i dont want to run that on the street. And i hear the past few years of the orange boxes havent been the greatest either. So does anyone make a Good Performance reliable ignition box these days?

--chad

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ever have an MSD breakdown in the middle of nowhere? I sold plenty of them when i worked in a speed shop---almost all were replacements for dead ones. The quality is hit and miss. I want stock style stuff for ease of availability while out on the road.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i've got one msd 6A box that i bought used, i've had it 10 years, who knows how old it really is but its still alive and kicking. I did have a 6AL that came on my dart that puked out, but it looked like it had been to hell and back. I bought a digital 6 to replace it and i like it pretty good. Anyway, couldnt you just get another orange box and keep a stocker in the glove box if you want to stay with stock style stuff?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've been running the Crane HI-6 for 4 years now on the street. I'm thinking about getting a spare for when it pukes and I'm stuck on a long cruise. Heat and vibration are the enemy. I have mine mounted here under the glove box on rubber snubbers.

Tom

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used to always keep a spare one in my trunk and an extra voltage regulator- I don't like being stranded on some back road. Now I'm switching to MSD 6AL and a internal regutated "light weight" Toyota alternator. Should I be worried about the MSD?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think im going to get a FBO box and see what happens. A MSD is just way overkill for an almost stock application in my eyes.

Dont get me wrong, MSD makes awsome stuff, and i personally never had a problem nor any of my friends (except for the old 5C box that they could never seem to fix). But like i said, it literally seemed almost once a week id sell a 6al in the shop due to ones that died. That was enough for me to carry a spare 7AL2 box in my car---just in case. Carrying spare stuff on longer trips is always a good idea IMHO.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
id try the fbo box. hes got some good claims, worth a shot. as fas as the msd's that die, a lot of things kill them, but most are due to opperator error. low voltage, jump starting, battery charger... how you coming along with the tig chad?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
James, i LOVE the TIG. I dont use the MIG unless its something i cant get to the TIG. Im an alright enough self taught wleder if i get enough practice in, but the TIG makes me look so much better than i really am in my opinion. Highly recommended if your in the market.

--chad

Oh yea---that low voltage deal, i did kill the battery a couple of times (it was old anyhow), maybe thats what did it? New battery now though.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
nah im not in the market, ive got a big old monster tig, when and if it dies, i might consider buying something a little more modern and smaller.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have Jacobs pro street boxes on all my cars and have for almost 10 years without one problem, and I got them off ebay. If you go with Jacobs look for the old boxes that look like the MSD as they are rebuildable. the new slim ones are not. plus you can keep the stock factory ECU and if it ever does fail its just unplugging 2 wires and hooking up 2 wires. here is a pic of the unit on my six pack challenger.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had MSD 6A on my 74 challenger for 5 years, I liked so much I boought one for my truck 4 years ago. Never had any problems but mounted in the engine bay and have withstood florida's heat and rain.

·
Registered
143 Posts
never heard of these fbo boxes,,,,when can i get one ? amd do they plug in to a standard mopar harness??as to replace a factory electronic box??

i switched from mopar electronic to msd in my blown street car,,what a difference, major,,,
i currently use a orange box in my street rod,and i should carry a extra with me, ihave thougt of carring a points dist,,in case but really havent founda nice one fro a small block,,,any one have a nice points dist?????/

·
Registered
9 Posts
fstfish66 said:
never heard of these fbo boxes,,,,when can  i get one ? amd do they plug in to a standard mopar harness??as to replace a factory electronic box??

i switched from  mopar electronic to msd in my blown street car,,what a difference, major,,,
i currently use a orange box in my street rod,and i should carry a extra with me, ihave thougt of carring a points dist,,in case but really havent founda nice one fro a small block,,,any one have a nice points dist?????/

There is a link to there website in one of the post's above, and yes it will plug into the factory harness just like the stock piece.

·
Registered
143 Posts
ok thanks ill check it out,,,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts