Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a brand new 4 bolt iron factory replacement for the manual disk brakes. I got it for free from a buddy.  If RMS carried them I would buy one from Bill. Seeing how I don't see one in his store I'll make my own. My question is what is the thickness of the aluminum stock? I would think it would be at least 3/4" to offset over the raised rib area in the firewall to the drivers side of the master cylinder.

thanks

Tom

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: Anyone running master cylinder relocation adapter.

Man your Dart sure is looking good Tom. I don't have an answer but I do have a question. When you offset the master, do you need to re-align the rod from the pedal to the master?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have not researched this at all. I got under there today and looked at the push rod. If I move the push rod from its existing location on the brake pedal arm to the opposite side, it looks like a 7/8" offset. It will definitely work and I'm sure this is how they do it (I think). I'll probably need the adjustable push rod.

thanks for the compliments. It's coming along slowly.

Tom

·
Registered
243 Posts

I think Bill was working on the adapter, as far as relocation the rod, not sure where it ended up tho... you can buy an offset adapter from Bill too... retty sure he offers them.

Joel

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

ahhhh. i thought i was the only one that kept the heavy ass iron mc.

·
Registered
78 Posts

I am using the two bolt offset block and I just moved the pushrod to the other side of the pedal. Also, had to use an adjustable pushrod to make up for the added thickness of the adapter. Did a little grinding on the firewall to elongate the whole as well.

Drew

·
Registered
219 Posts

Tom,

I am using the offset adapter.

It sure helps when taking the valve cover off.

I put it on originally to provide more clearance between the master cyclinder and the B body HiPo exhaust manifolds that I was using at the time.

If I remeber right the adapter is 1" thick.

You will have to cut the original rod in half add (weld) a 1" piece to it (as I did), or buy the longer rod thru MP.

Herb

·
Registered
392 Posts

Can't help on the 4 bolt adapter, but I did find a nice adjustable rod from Master Power brakes. I have not installed it yet, looks like good quality though. I'll attach a pic later today.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thank for the replies. 1" thick? I'll start on it today.

Tom

·
Registered
392 Posts

Tom, here is a pic of the adjustable rod.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
219 Posts

Tom,

Here is a shot of the engine bay. You can see the offset plate in it.

Also the back of the plate is not flat, it is machined at an angle in a couple of placres to clear body contours.

Herb

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks Herb and Mike. After I saw your 1" thick comment and your engine pic, I made the plate today. I tigged a couple peices of 3" x 1/2" aluminum flat bar together with the 45 degree cut on the back plate. I will punch out the holes tomorrow and post pics.

I have a question. I assume that the existing M.C. mounting bolts and nuts must recess in the aluminum plate because the plate is total 1" thick and the existing M.C studs are 7/8" out from the face of the firewall. And the existing drivers side studs are under the relocated M.C. I am going to drill 11/64th holes all the way through for these studs and countersink a 3/4" hole for nuts and washers.

for the relocated mounting holes, I will drill, tap and helicoil for new 5/16" N.C. x 18 studs. I do see where I have to knock the corners off of the plate in a few areas.

thanks again.

Tom

·
Registered
219 Posts

Tom,

You are correct about the plate mounting holes being recessed.

Sounds like you are well on your way, good luck on the rtest of the project.

Herb

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Here it is. I recommend spending the $80 something and buying it. By the time you round up 4" x 1/2" aluminum flat bar, tig it, drill it, round the corners you can buy a couple of them. Took about 3 hours mostly test fitting and removing material from the corners.

I have to go buy the correct studs and mount it. I'll post a pic of the mounted M.C.

This is actually two pieces of 1/2" thick bar tigged together. cut one at 45 degrees for the offset to get you over the contour in the firewall.

Probably shouldn't even be using this iron M.C. It is very heavy. But is cost me nothing. ;D

tom

·
Registered
1,841 Posts

thats nice. i really need ot get my 2 room renovation wrapped up and get my ass back in the garage. to clean it at least...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

jamesdart said:
thats nice. i really need ot get my 2 room renovation wrapped up and get my ass back in the garage.  to clean it at least...
Progress is fun isn't it, but a house is more important and the wife stays happy.

Anyways here is the finished install. Thanks for the measurements Herb.

Tom

·
Registered
219 Posts
Tom,

Looks great, better then the one I bought from MP.

Now on to your heater motor.

Herb

·
Registered
724 Posts
Looks great Tom. Maybe you could have bought one but it's gotta be much more satisfying to make a nice piece like that. The MC may be a little heavier but it looks original.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts