Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New battery OK, acid level OK, Alternator OK, Voltage Regulator OK, wiring OK, Grounding excellent, in-dash alternator gauge shows charging..... yet a fully charged battery goes down within 4 - 5 days to the point where it won't spin the electric starter.

Any ideas..?

TIA.

·
Registered
365 Posts
you could do a test to see if there is a draw by using a 12V lamp between the terminal and the battery post.

if the lamp lights up even a bit you have a draw somewere that must be located.

i would if the lamp lights up just pop fuses out untill the lamp goes out then look and see what that fuse is for and look there for the draw.

this would be the deal if it happens with the car not being used for 4-5 days.

if this happens when you run the car for 4-5 days then just check and see if you have 13-15 volts at the battery when it is running if not then this is why it goes dead,it is not charging.

·
Registered
117 Posts
signet, nice write-up. I'd bet it's something that doesn't take much juice. Like a small light, glove box or trunk that's staying on.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We drive the car everyday. A VOM at the battery with engine running shows an intermittent 14 -> 12.3 Volt reading, meaning that it is charging, at least some of the time.

I did notice that the fan belt was somewhat loose and that could mean that the alternator pulley may have been slipping a bit and was not able to spin (charge) as consistently as it should have. That would explain the amp gauge in the dash showing proper "Charging" when running..

This car has electric fans and only 3 loads on the pulleys: Crank, Water pump and Alternator.

The one thing I have not checked is the starter relay. That one comes next, sometime tonight.

It's a bitch when all the componennts seem to work when checking them independently, but yet fail to work when hooked up together...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We drive the car 10 - 20 Miles per day, mostly city, multiple starts... That could be the problem too...not enough high RPM on a consistent basis to charge the Batt.

The battery as well as the clamps and cables are new.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jim_Lusk said:
I've seen new clamps and batteries not make good connections.
Agreed. But this was the first thing I checked..while I was at it, I also re-made all the connections to both battery clamps.

I'm thinking that it may also be the Voltage Regulator. Both it and the Starter Relay look old enough to be OEM.

·
Registered
365 Posts
guzzimike

i am almost certain(almost) that the voltage while running should be steady around 13-14volts or so.

but it should not dip to 12.3 volts.

well not with a solid state regulator anyways.

take care.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts