Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In couple years i'm gonna start gett'n serious with the demon.I'm going run something in the nature of about 650 hp.I don't plan on taking it to the strip every weekend,just occasionally.90% street.At best probably run drag radials.( but you never know)I'm going to go with a dana from strange engineering.My buddy is telling me to back half the car and install a 4 link.He's saying that with that kind of hp i'm going to rip the spring mounts out of the frame rails.What is everybody else doing with their cars pushing that kind of hp?How tall of a tire am i limited to with a stock wheel well?I plan on dumping alot of money into this car and i'm only gonna do this once.I was trying not to hack up the car as much as possible but if i have to than so be it.It's just a bottom line slant six car.So what do you guys think?How much in materials do you think it will cost.I also remember a link here showing a company that sells kits for backhalfing and how to do it.Ok I'll quit talking.Let the comments fly.Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
my opinion, 650 is not a lot of hp, backhalfing it would be overkill, keep the stock frame, put in 2x3 box subframe connectors (weld into the floorpan), mini tub it, and for taller tire clearence go with aftermarket tubs instead of widening the factory wells as I did. Skip the 4-link and go with ladder bars and coil-overs, less tuning combos than a 4-link but they are much easier to install on a stock frame, even easier to install than a spring relocation kit. A Dana from Strange is money well spent.
My engine combo nets slightly more than 600 hp and this chassis handles it fine

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gee bob,I don't know how to take that lol.I don't know if that's good or bad **(*).Nah,I spent some years in a bodyshop i love to weld.That was my first idea.Relocation with springs.I like mjudd's idea of the mini tubbs and the subframe,ladder bars, coil overs.Wouldn't be too time consuming and i would,t have to chop my car in half.Yeah,i'm definitely trying to make it as bullet proof as possible.Yeah,i also feel that 650 hp is not "radical" by all means but my buddy has a tendency to be too technical.I like the idea of being able too fit the taller tires, looks good.Where would you guy's suggest getting such a set up?I know there's the run of the mill like jeg's and summit but usually there's better.Would you just buy the 2x3 tubing and cut and weld to fit?Thanks for the info guys.

carl

G

·
I'd think long and hard about cutting up a nice car. Might be able to buy a used one already done, at some racer's end-of-season fire sale, and for the same or less money. If I had it to do over again, I'd save my $$ and wait for a bargain.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
my hotrod started out with a stock subframe with superstock springs moved into the rails but as things progressed i did install ladder bars but maintained the stock subframe. i went to the ladder bars because of the supercharger's torque. with your experience welding any fabrication shouldn't be a problem. i purchased my stuff from chassis engineering because i could just drive up and pick the parts up.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey i was just on chassis engineering .Found it not long after the first post.Nice stuff.Hmm didn't pay attention where they were located.Oh florida.Little far for a drive.I'm liking the ladder bar idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts