Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two complete sets of headlight grille enclosers, I am having alot of difficulty removing the nuts from the studs. I cannot seem to get them out of the header panel, the small studs are rusty. Does anyone reproduce the studs and nuts that retain the grilles to the header panel? Is there a trick to getting these out short of ruining something? I dont see how I can replace the studs without altering the grilles. I can see now why the "restored" pieces go for almost a thousand dollars. I have gotten one nut out of ten to come off and ive soaked them all with penetrating oil. I can take this nut and get machine screws the same size and probably make something work but this is going to require alot of work.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
847 Posts
is this what i have to look foward to????? o[

·
Registered
81 Posts
I feel your pain didn't have that problem with mine,i am currently try to take 2 sets of grilles and make one good set.they will slide apart but man what a pain and easy to bend.i'll check my yearone catalog and get back to you though

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I know the studs you are talking about. I believe machine screws would be your best bet. Thread a nut onto them, screw them into the grill surround, and then cut off the screw heads with a dremmel tool, and spin the nuts off to chase the threads. Around here there are guys at swap meets that have tons of different automotive fasteners, speed nuts etc. You might be able to find something close to the factory nuts with attached washers from them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts