Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought i would post this here since you guys are DART freaks.... 0/

Ok , so ive installed a mopar electronic ign setup in my 70 Dart. Of course , im having problems. Heres whats going on:
When the key is in the RUN position, i get 8.8v on the left side of the ballast, and 8.8 on the right.
The left side of the ballast has a blue wire + the wire from the electronic setup.
the right side has a blue+ a brown ,+ 1 wire from the electronic setup.
This is wired just like the picture in the Mopar Engines manual.

when the key is in the Start position, the coil makes a "clicking sound" . No starter though. This is with NO coil wire attached.

when the key is in Run, the coil has 8.2v at the positive and 2.2v at the neg.

Voltages look ok so far ? (except for being a little low...)

SO...the starter wont go is the 1st problem !

If i jump the terminals at the starter relay, the starter DOES turn over. All grounds test good.

Any thoughts ??

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't know about the clicking coil but if you have power going into the starter relay and you can jump the terminals and it starts it sounds like bad starter relay.It's not letting the power over to the other post to get sent to the starter selenoid.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the relay is brand new. doesnt the ign switch also have a factor in that ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
check for 12V at the relay when you turn the key to start, and a good ground on the other terminal.

sounds like low voltage at the starter, how about the bat terminals and the + batt to the relay and from the relay to the starter.

just some ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts