Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which side is most common for battery in trunk and what route do you take for routing the cable? Thinking of moving the battery to the trunk when the 440 goes in .

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Well, I would think you'd want it in the passenger side corner behind the axle for weight distribution with you in the driver's seat. That means at some point the cable has to cross the car. I would do that in the trunk so it doesn't do it at the driveshaft or bellhousing area.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
passenger side. i just made a box out of 1.5x1.5 angle, welded it all up, then centered it over the framerail. welded it solid across the frame rail inside the box and outside and stiched 2" weld all around. welded a lug on each side of the box and used 1/2" threaded rod with a nut on each side of the lug and a piece of 2"x3/8" aluminum flat stock for a hold down with nuts on top and bottom to lock it and keep from overtightening the battery. i use the lug for my ground too. also have the disconect. the bolts dont go down and capture the frame at all, but every time i go through tech i get a compliment on such a stupid thing, they all like it. i guess some people try some really stupid things. i also know a guy that had his dual batterys fly out of the car in a bad wreck using the nhra 3/8 bolts. he was the one that convinced me to use 1/2" rod.

·
Registered
404 Posts
passenger side in the rear is my battery in a box.

and i routed my battery cable inside the car and it cross over in the trunk.

nice and clean

·
Registered
267 Posts
same here, then I hid it with the carpet.

sorry this is not the best picture.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Passenger side is standard..... But you should rout the positive lead to the drivers side in the back before coming forward to the solenoid...
Bill,

·
Registered
404 Posts
Evan said:
same here, then I hid it with the carpet.

sorry this is not the best picture.
Looks like your using a Summit box?

·
Registered
267 Posts
well i actually got it at o'reillys, but its probably the same thing, just a $10 box that cracked the first time i dropped it!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Evan said:
well i actually got it at o'reillys, but its probably the same thing, just a $10 box that cracked the first time i dropped it!

oh, yeha i have beat mine up a few times it's still in good shape.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Does anyone know that the rules are about an enclosed battery box? I have heard that if the passenger compartment is firewalled off I dont need a enclosed(sealed) and vented to the outside battery box.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Does anyone know that the rules are about an enclosed battery box? I have heard that if the passenger compartment is firewalled off I dont need a enclosed(sealed) and vented to the outside battery box.
Put in a optima battery , you can even mount it upside down if you want. safe for your pasengers , no vapors

That applies to pro street , didnt know you were racing it ,LOL

·
Registered
651 Posts
If the battery is in the trunk, the trunk HAS to be firewalled off.

And you HAVE to have a kill switch mounted somewhere on the back to make it easy for someone to shut the car off in case of an emergency.

No box needed, just mounted and held down so it cant move. I just bolted my original battery tray to the trunk floor, drilled 2 holes for a hold down and have no issues.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
I never thought about using the stock battery tray and mounting it that way.. Nice
As far as racing it...I may decided to see what it would run but that would be about it. This is our date night car...

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
from the nhra site:

I have a street car that I occasionally run at the strip. I've relocated the battery to the rear. What else do I need?
Any car with a relocated battery must be equipped with a master electrical cutoff, capable of stopping all electrical functions including ignition (must shut the engine off, as well as fuel pumps, etc.). The switch must be located on the rear of the vehicle, with the "off" position clearly marked. If the switch is of a "push / pull" type, then "push" must be the motion that shuts off the switch, and plastic or "keyed" typed switches are prohibited. Also, the battery must be completely sealed from the driver and/or driver compartment. This means a metal bulkhead must separate the trunk from the driver compartment, or the battery must be located in a sealed, metal box constructed of minimum .024 inch steel or .032 inch aluminum, or in an NHRA accepted plastic box. In cars with a conventional trunk, metal can simply be installed behind the rear seat and under the package tray to effectively seal the battery off from the driver. In a hatchback type vehicle the battery box is usually the easiest solution, since the alternative is to fabricate a bulkhead which seals to the hatch when closed. At present, Moroso is the only company which offers an NHRA accepted plastic battery box, part number 74050.
But I drive on the street. I don't want a big cut off switch hanging on the back.
This solution takes a little work, but it solves the problem. Install the master cutoff inside the vehicle, positioned "sideways" so that the toggle moves forward and back. Drill a hole in the toggle handle, and attach a steel rod that will run out the back of the car, through a hole drilled completely through one tail light assembly. Have a spare tail light assembly on hand, so when you come home from the drags, you remove the rod and put the cherry tail light back in for street cruising. Next time you plan on going to the drag strip, swap lights and reinstall the rod. Since the drilled light is for the strip only, you can also have it marked "PUSH OFF" in big letters so the Tech Inspectors will think you're cool.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Also something to remember (which may seem dumb) is always mount the battery sideways. That way the force of launching the car won't have the tendency to want to brake the plates and short them out internally.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i did a push pull switch on mine, made it come out under the bumper so i didn't have to drill holes.

bracket wasn't finished in this picture

1 - 20 of 21 Posts