Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a bead blaster cabinet. Anyone have any advice on a good one? What abrasive is best for cleaning cast parts like intake manifolds and water pumps? How about sheet metal parts like valve covers?

mike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got mine a couple years ago from Harbor Freight. Needed to stiffen up the legs a bit, but a good cabinet for the money. As for abrasives, I use aluminum oxide, it cuts good and lasts a long time. Stay away from silica sand, it may be cheep but it aint worth the health risks.

G

·
I got the Harbor Freight bench top one (it's big). I don't have enough floor space for a free standing one, so I put it on top of my Harbor Freight parts washer. If I want to use the washer I just move the blaster. Works out okay if you have limited space.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a craftsman 3 hp compressor, it puts out 9.3 scfm at 40 psi. Is that enough to power a blaster?

mike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A13Dart said:
I have a craftsman 3 hp compressor, it puts out 9.3 scfm at 40 psi. Is that enough to power a blaster?

mike.
I have to say no to that. Most air tools are rated at 90psi and I'm betting that you will be way low on the scfm at 90. Check the air requirements on the cabinet before buying or do like I did...upgrade to a larger compressor a ton and don't worry about air requirements lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts