Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's almost that time......I have got to get the old paint sanded off and get to the body work...........
So whats the best way to attack this task? All helpfull opinions welcome.. o----o<>
Kevin440

·
Registered
114 Posts
It depends on how much you want to spend. Plastic blasting, Chemical stripper(Tal Strip works nice) or you can sand it off with 80 grit on a sander.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive been using a da with 36 grit to take off as much paint as fast as possible. leaves the metal a little rough for filler to stick to. what i cant get with the da ive been using green nickel slag in a sand blaster. just finished the inside of the front fenders today and undercoated them this evening. ready for primer tommorrow

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweatybetty said:
ive been using a da with 36 grit to take off as much paint as fast as possible. leaves the metal a little rough for filler to stick to. what i cant get with the da ive been using green nickel slag in a sand blaster. just finished the inside of the front fenders today and undercoated them this evening. ready for primer tommorrow
Thanks Betty...
and grats on the progress

·
Registered
118 Posts
soda blast, takes the paint off but will not hurt the bright trim, not course enough to remove heavy rust

walnut shell blast

I had hood soda blasted, the engine compartment, floor, trunk and underbody sandblasted. I think total blasting cost was $340. in one day out the next

It is not for everyone. My car was completely apart. Sand & soda everywhere and haed to get it all out of cracks and inner structure

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
227 Posts
if you use tal strip be careful.wear glasses.if you get it in your eye you won't have that eye no more.it nuetralizes with water.but not in your eye

·
Registered
749 Posts
We need to do this to my son's 68 Dart that we are doing. I have done chemical strip method and not really a fan of it. It will get into all the nooks and cracks plus leave a mess where ever you do it. The stripper that we used was plain nasty to work with. I have also used the DA with 40 and 80 grit on different projects.. Dust raise a cloud of dust but much cheaper than chemicals.
Havent dont the soda blasting yet...We have a friend that bought a truck that has all the stuff on it that we will be using in the next few weeks to see how we like it. The use of the truck and machine is free...all we need to do is buy the soda...

Rick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
elliskev2 said:
??? Has anyone here heard of a company, in the upstate NY or Northern Pa. that does Media Blasting?  :-\
I had my car sandblasted and primed for a very reasonable price by Peters Painting and Sandblasting in Lock Haven, PA if thats not too far.
His number is 570-748-7136.

·
Registered
69 Posts
HeyGuiher said:
elliskev2 said:
??? Has anyone here heard of a company, in the upstate NY or Northern Pa. that does Media Blasting? :-\
I had my car sandblasted and primed for a very reasonable price by Peters Painting and Sandblasting in Lock Haven, PA if thats not too far.
His number is 570-748-7136.
Thanks HeyGuiher, I'll check them out...I've been asking around our area and no one seems to know, of anyone.
I ve got a 70 runner that I'd like done. 8)

·
Registered
137 Posts
the best media is hire a couple of bikini babes and give them each a sander and sit back in your lawn chair with a beer and direct the show -0*(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts