Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a quick question for you all. I have a 383hp in my dart and it will not start unless it has 38* timing in it at an idle, is this normal? It has a Summit racing cam, weiand 8008 intake, a Holley 750 carb, headers unknown, soon to be MSD ignition!

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
Twice in the last couple of years I have worked an engine that required way too much initial timing. I have no idea what was wrong with the first one (273), but the other had two slightly bent exhaust valves (also had cracked heads). A pair of fresh heads later and timing was spot on.

BUT, you need to confirm that you are reading an accurate number. Your timing light could be off or the ring could have slipped on the harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hello, I have a quick question for you all. I have a 383hp in my dart and it will not start unless it has 38* timing in it at an idle, is this normal? It has a Summit racing cam, weiand 8008 intake, a Holley 750 carb, headers unknown, soon to be MSD ignition!
Is it possible the harmonic balancer slipped a bit, causing an inaccurate timing reading? How does the engine run? Set the timing so the engine has the most power and lock it down. Sometimes you can buy a balancer that's incorrectly marked. If you get the car to run like a bat out of hell, I'd say you got the timing right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has the stock harmonic balancer on i, that is until tomorrow, motor is very strong and pulls great, it just needs a few more tweaks

·
Registered
517 Posts
It has the stock harmonic balancer on i, that is until tomorrow, motor is very strong and pulls great, it just needs a few more tweaks
Yea, it sounds like the balancer must have slipped a bit. Get a new one and recheck the timing. I have an aftermarket balancer that is not marked correctly. It's about 10 degree off. It's no big deal. I just set the timing to where it runs the best.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My aftermarket was off 10' degrees . You need a Piston Bump stop. Put it in #1 cylinder and rotate (with Ratchet) clockwise until your piston hits the bump stop. Make a mark balancer at top dead center. Now reverse your rotation until you hit the stop and mark TDC again. The space in the middle is your true TDC. Then install some timing tape on your balancer. You may want to do this on your current Balancer as well to confirm if it has slipped.
Good luck !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts