Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked this up for $200. its out of a 66 pickup. 3.91 with a sure grip. is this the rebuildable unit? its also a 741 case. any one ever broken one of these? how much hp can it take

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems like a great deal to me.
I just paid a guy $550 for a 7.41 case 4.11 sure grip
center section only. Even in California where I live, you find
sure grips units in the junkyards anymore.
The 7.41 units seem to have the reputation of
"strong enough"- maybe won't live on a Hemi car
with slicks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mopar Bob at our machine shop said he ran an 1800 HP Hemi in front of a 489 cased 8 3/4, BUT a 741 case would work almost as well. He told me I should use that instead of a Dana 60, but I'm just too set on using one. I love the look of the beefieness of it all!!!

OTHERWISE, I'd say you got a good steal, and 3.91's are a darn good gear over all!! Unless you decide to put 4.30's into it!!!!! boom[]

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've always heard that the 741's are good for about 500hp on street tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well you guys sure made me feel alot better about the deal. i didnt think about looking at the case # when i bought it, i was too jazzed about the gears and suregrip. seems i need to shorten it around 6". next Q is diswc or drum brakes? what drum brakes would you use?
tnku

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would run drums on the rear, They release better. I have the small 10" drums on mine. Didn't figure I would need the big honken drums for my little dart. -0*(

·
Registered
101 Posts
BTW I'm running the same center section in my car and have had no problems with it yet. And I beat the shit out of it!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts