Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference from bondo and epoxy putty?i'm filling holes in the engine bay and was also wondering how big of a hole can you fill with these products.

·
Registered
283 Posts
i think bond-o would crack and fall out from vibrations.maybe small holes ,use small screws and grind the head off flush.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
these holes are just below the cowel on the firewall.i dont know why they are there.they are just a lttle smaller than a dime so the screw method wont work.any other ideas?you can see the holes neer the pass. hood hinge.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Stu...... a good epoxy is way srtonger than bondo and is waterproof..... obviously, a thicker product would be better. if there is a marine supply near you, check out "marine-tex" its awesome.

·
Registered
227 Posts
mopar stu said:
these holes are just below the cowel on the firewall.i dont know why they are there.they are just a lttle smaller than a dime so the screw method wont work.any other ideas?you can see the holes neer the pass. hood hinge.
Weld the holes.It's about the only fool proof way.Never shake loose.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just checked out marine tex site.do you recomend the grey as opposed to the white?and are their any kinds of paints or primers that i should use or some that wont work on it?thanks

·
Registered
847 Posts
ita a little pricey.........worth every penny!..............yes , sandable. i grind it and skim coat it with a little filler or finishing filler. as a side note its a 5:1 mixture, too much catalyst is no good. read the can! im sure you can handle it. ;D...Grey!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
do you remeber this??? marine tex!!! sanded. that area was paper thin, the marinetex strengthened (sp?) it rite up!!! grey. i also coat all my welded seams with it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool man,i'm at work now but i found a boat place open til 7 tonight.looks like i'm playing with goo tonight :)
also what grade sandpaper should i use last.i'll save you the trouble of slapping me as i know you have answered this before. thanks

·
Registered
847 Posts
i wuddnt worry about "finish sanding" the marine tex. i usually knock it down with a grinder and put a skim coat of finishing filler over it. but i suppose you could sand it with 80, 100, and then 220 and prime it if ya had to. make sure the area is rough before applying. good luck. let me know how ya make out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts