Big Block Dart Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Chally will be coming back from AutoRust next month. It is getting all the rust fixed. Floors, trunk, extensions, qtr. patches, window frames, cowl and sill repair, torque boxes and frame connectors. Its a full resto...not a show car, but a solid, safe, nice looking driver (the intention, anyway!). The plan is, the car will be painted B5 Blue.

Its going to need the door jambs, trunk, engine bay, trunk lid and hood undersides...all painted in B5 blue before assy starts. In that way...I can finish the entire car and only have to finish the outside car paint, once its done. How does this sound? I can't have the car kicking around the shop for a year or two with its final paint on...it WILL not survive without dings, dents and scratches by the sometimes not too careful students. Once it goes out for final paint....It should be done.

Any suggestions on how to make this plan go smooth? pitfalls? can someone recomend a good painter will to do the work in these 2 steps?? thanks...Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well ,one pitfall is that you have to watch out for overspray if you already have the jambs and undersides painted already.I don't see it being a big problem painting the undersides of the deck lid,hood and engine bay.Just tape it off real good so you don't get overspray.Personally i would paint the jambs along with the rest of the body.It sounds like it wouldn't be too much of a haggle to do it in two steps.Alot of it depends on how much of an fullmoon the painter wants to be.If you can get somebody to work with you it shouldn't be a problem.If you wanted to save a few bucks(and seeing how your not doing a showcar)it's really not that hard to paint and engine bay and undersides to your items.You probably posess the skill to do this yourself.It's kind of hard to really mess up and underside(not impossible, but hard).The outside is what i would leave to the other guy if you have never painted before.Oh,if you paint the jambs first.If you have any bodywork to do,when you prime it it will likely find it's way into a door jamb.Atleast with a engine bay or other panels you can tape the off with no primer edge.Well i've run my mouth enough.Let us know if you still ponder these answers.See ya Mike

carl

·
Registered
847 Posts
carl pretty much nailed it..... i never really have a plan, i just kinda wing it as i go. im great at doing things twice o[

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about putting foam strips in the body lines?i saw it done and it garadually bleeds in the paint without having a tape line.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah Stu,

i guess you could do that if you had to.But it always seems like your sealer tends to travel a little farther than the rest of your paint and it always seems like you end up with a light spot in the seem somewhere.The only time i ever taped off a door jamb like that is if it was a customer car and there was nothing wrong with the jamb and it was already of color.One thing you don't want to worry about when doing your body work is to have to protect the door jambs.You'll go through all that effort and i gaurantee you'll still get junk in them.There is other tricks like "rolling edges"and stuff like that, but no sense in getting in to all that.It just gives you a more professional job without having any extra skill.Trust me...I used to work at a Mopar dealer 5 miles from the Newark, DE assy. plant.Boy you talk about a bunch of know it all customers.I've worked at Chrysler for 25 yrs ....Blah Blah Blah Blah.That's what we would always hear.Glad i don't work there anymore.(i do miss my Mopar buddies).Good luck Mike,

carl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
71 demon child said:
Yeah Stu,

i guess you could do that if you had to.But it always seems like your sealer tends to travel a little farther than the rest of your paint and it always seems like you end up with a light spot in the seem somewhere.The only time i ever taped off a door jamb like that is if it was a customer car and there was nothing wrong with the jamb and it was already of color.One thing you don't want to worry about when doing your body work is to have to protect the door jambs.You'll go through all that effort and i gaurantee you'll still get junk in them.There is other tricks like "rolling edges"and stuff like that, but no sense in getting in to all that.It just gives you a more professional job without having any extra skill.Trust me...I used to work at a Mopar dealer 5 miles from the Newark, DE assy. plant.Boy you talk about a bunch of know it all customers.I've worked at Chrysler for 25 yrs ....Blah Blah Blah Blah.That's what we would always hear.Glad i don't work there anymore.(i do miss my Mopar buddies).Good luck Mike,

carl

You beat me to it ha ha! No matter what the first thing you spray always goes farther. It usually gets grainy as it goes in so the next product cant get past the grainyness of the sealer! I hate tape lines and would spray everything as one. TEETO

·
Registered
227 Posts
Teeto said:
71 demon child said:
Yeah Stu,

carl

You beat me to it ha ha! No matter what the first thing you spray always goes farther. It usually gets grainy as it goes in so the next product cant get past the grainyness of the sealer! I hate tape lines and would spray everything as one.  TEETO
AMEN BROTHER!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tape lines are only temporary once wetsanded. I like to leave the doors empty and spray the insides, but attach and paint them again on the car withb the doors openable and do the jambs then.

·
Registered
847 Posts
silver said:
Tape lines are only temporary once wetsanded. I like to leave the doors empty and spray the insides, but attach and paint them again on the car withb the doors openable and do the jambs then.
[]{} yup......thats usually how i do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts